DO you see photography "improving" in the last 50 years?

travis1

hmmm, I am very poor at photography history. Most of the photo books

I get to read in my local stores are photographers from the 50s,

60s.70s...We have very little contemporary photog publication here.

Most of the current photog works I get to see are from the web

introduced by some of you people.

In your opinion, however subjective, which era of photography

interests you most? And so, do you think this form of "art" has got

better over time or the same or worse?

Just share your views. Thx. cheers.

Yes Jeff, "different" should be the word to use. SO how different have things changed? DO you see any ""breakthroughs" in what photogs do that has intrigued you?

I'd like to know some of these photographers if any. From the web or books.

The era which interests me most is the 40's-50's. I don't think its has gotten any better in 50 years. I mean I can't ever see there being another photo book which has moved me as much as "The Americans" has. I think it all boils down that photogs are afraid to take chances (I know I am, im a wimp) and that no one is really interested in photograpy as an art anymore, all of the posers are watching reality tv, and idiotic romantic comedies starring Hugh Grant.

Photography has lost its role as a documentary medium because of video. The role that photography played fifty years ago has been almost completely replaced by video images. Most people's images of Iraq are from television. Fifty years ago, there would be newsreels in the theater, but most imagery of events was in magazines.

As a result, photography has been separated from its need to define "reality," whatever that may be, in the same way that painting was when photography came along. This is why we have the post-modern and so much experimentation with digital imaging. The latter is very important - people here in the techno-weenie world seem to think that digital stuff is happening because it's "easy" when it's really happening because photography has lost much of its traditional impact.

Most people's interaction with photography has nothing to do with documentary or depiction but with advertising, even in the editorial context. Images that promote rather than depict are the standard. High technical quality is everywhere. As a result, photography is pushing into other areas, even beyond where the "post-modern" movement was going.

Take a look at US publications like Blind Spot or sometimes Aperture if you want to see some of this change. Or a book like Kiss in the Dark: Contemporary Japanese Photography (this was published in Japan only.) Try ZoneZero on the web - they have an interesting mix of fairly traditional work with some very new and adventurous photography.

Digital, video, photo-illustration, PhotoShop manipulation, glitz

and of course the ever popular bottom line have greatly changed

photography since I began my career 40 years ago. Then we

only poised newspaper shot, burned/dodged/airbrushed, and

shot assignments created by the editors.

Telling the world what happens through photography has

changed. Equipment, 4x5's replaced by 35mm slr replaced by

digital, the post modern by the post-post modern....art not

communication, illustration not documentation and instant live

coverage. Yet want to see good(in general) documentary

photography get eight photojournalism a nice 4 times a year

English publication showing very good examples of the world of

photojournlism.

What will the next 50 years hold for pictorial story telling?

Steven

The 90s were pretty cool. People were no longer impressed by Martin Parr type work,

but took his criticism of photography very much to heart. That criticism is about

photography being too interested in "dignity" and "truth" and "the other". If you work

with studio lights, can you be said to no longer be a documenary photographer? If you

don't photograph "subjects" but "friends", how does that change your work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/

2WBFGHN9BHZYV/202-6777358-4558269

Some of this list is very old school, but the way it's put together is very good. And in

the 50s no one was really doing good stories on drugs or subcultures or sex. The

taboos have gone now. Also, colour emulsions are so much better, you can do things

now which were technically impossible before.

I was looking at some W. Eugene Smith and Robert Capa photographs on the Magnum website yesterday. Regardless of fashion or technical issues, I have rarely seen photography of such quality. I certainly don't believe the quality of this type of photography has improved. Changed yes, improved, no. Of course I am thinking about docdumentary photography.<p> Commercial or advertising-type photography has doubtless progessed tremendously.

I don't see much improvement and not much different, at least in the photography that interests me.

Beginning with color photography (other than a very few masters such as Haas and Eggleston), through television, video and digital, I pretty much could care less. Many times I think people will look back on a lot of the current trends in photography like we do now on the 1960's flower child/psychedelic art. Campy in its bad taste.

I am inspired by photography from the beginnings Daguerre and Fox Talbot to the present day, with a few individuals in particular from the 30s-60s, Capa, Eugene Smith, Tim Page, Weegee, David Bailey, but also originators like Frank Meadow Sutcliffe and Julia Margaret Cameron.

I am starting work on my own little photographers list and links for my website.

Here is a primary source I will be springboarding from.

Masters of Photography: A Thematic History � text by Daniela Mrázková, translated by Simon Pellar, first published USA 1987 by Exeter Books, ISBN 0-671-08459-8, printed in Prague, Czechoslovakia. 260 pages.

Some of the names in this book which offers a two page spread per photographer with three or four photographs and a brief biographical article.

I go back to it every now and then and then sometimes look for further information on the web about one of the photographers. This includes a fair number of eastern European and Russian photographers. One sad note about some of these people is how their best work took place during WW II. Many focussing on the effect on civilians.

Perhaps not the finest printing quality, but a rich source of information.

Some of the names: BEGINNINGS Joseph Nicéphore Niepce, Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre, William Henry Fox Talbot; EARLY Nadar, Roger Fenton, Eadweard Muybridge, Julia Margaret Cameron, Alphonse Mucha, Oscar Gustave Rejlander, Henry Peach Robinson, Peter Henry Emerson; AS ART FORM Robert Demachy, Frantisek Drtikol, Alfred Stieglitz, Drahomir Josef Ruzicka, Edward Steichen, Paul Strand, Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Josef Sudek; PHOTOGRAPHY AS WITNESS Frank Meadow Sutcliffe, Maxim Petrovich Dmitriev, Jacques-Henri Lartigue, Eugene Atget, Jacob August Riis, Lewis Wickes Hines, Dorothea Lange, Walker Evans, August Sander; PHOTOGRAPHY NEW VISION Karl Blossfeldt, Man Ray, Albert Renger-Patzsch, László Moholy-Nagy, El Lisitzki, Alexander Rodchenko, Jaromir Funke, Jaroslav Rössler, Karel Teige, Jindrich Styrsky, CAPTURING THE MOMENT Erich Salomon, Martin Munkácsi, Felix H. Man, Wolfgang Weber, Umbo, Alfred Eisenstaedt, André Kertész, Brassaï, Bill Brandt, PROPAGANDA Irene Blüh, Walter Ballhause, Arkadi Shaikert, Max Alpert, Boris Ignatovich, Georgi Zelma, Moisei Nappelbaum, Abram Shterenberg, John Heartfield, John Heartfield; HUMANIST PHOTOGRAPHY Robert Capa, Dmitri Baltermants, Boris Kudoyarov, Werner Bischof, David Seymour (Chim), Henri Cartier-Bresson, William Eugene Smith, Elliott Erwitt, Bruce Davidson, Donald McCullin, Kishor Parekh, Tim Page, Abbas, Susan Meisalas; PHOTOGRAPHY AND LIFESTYLE Weegee, Robert Frank, Lisette Model, Diane Arbus, Antanas Sutkus, Mikola Gnisyuk, Patrick Ward, Martine Franck, Karsh, Cecil Beaton, Sam Haskins, David Bailey.

As for "better", my two cents worth, technical advances have made it easier and faster to take photographs....but the best work comes from the person working to see and take the photograph. Some of the 19th century work is remarkable to look at. I have had the good luck to see exhibits of Cameron, Walker Evans and Atget. It is a different experience to see these in the "flesh" compared to seeing them in books.

I don't think the era matters that much, Travis. I'm always drawn to individuals whose work reflects an honesty and passionate inner vision. Such artists pursue their own goals regardless of critics, the "spirit of the times", or the dictates of academia.

Certainly photography has "improved" technologically, but technology has very little to do with the quality of artistic vision. There's a lot of empty, inane imagery around these days because the originators have nothing to say, celebrate, or explore - shrill, desperate bids for instant recognition should not be embraced out of misplaced charity, nor should they be accepted as a substitute for something genuine or real.

I found that the 'sixties were the most, I don't know, exciting(?) period for me with people like Ian Berry, Tom McCullin, John French and, yes, David Bailey all producing startling, mostly monochrome images. Since then, I think that photographers have tended to become too 'safe' and I see little that impresses me as much as that stuff did.

I think I need to go out and shoot some grainy Tri-X and soup it in hot D-76....

Photography has the unique ability to quickly reflect the world as it exists at a particular moment in time. Here I'm speaking more about culltural modes than capturing some seminal event. I'm with Jeff in believing it's just "different" today than it was and will be different tomorrow. What has changed enormously and allows for images we've never seen before is technology.

As far as eras go, I'm interested in sellected images from the mid 20th century to contemporary cutting edge work. Again agreeing with Jeff, check out Blind Spot. Also, try to find "Contact Sheet".

<i> There's a lot of empty, inane imagery around these days because the originators

have nothing to say, celebrate, or explore </i><p>

There's always been dull, mundane, pretentious photography. There's more today

because the cost of gear and supplies has dropped, interest in photography has

grown, there has been rising acceptance of photography as an art form, and because

photographic imagery has taken over in our culture. But there's plenty to say, celbrate

and explore if you bother to look for it.

I was 13 years old when our family got its first TV in 1949 (10 inch B&W). Prior to that, LIFE magazine showed it all, and I thought it was wonderful. And of course, National Geographic, but I thought the pictures were better in LIFE. If there is any publication out there that is comparable to pre-TV LIFE, I would like to know about it.

Improving? What does that mean? Certainly the potential technical quality of

photography has improved--it is easier to achieve the results you want in an

image becuase of advances in film technology as well as in digital

technology. The photographic avant guarde seems to be reverting to older,

more arcane, processes; in many cases they out do the old masters as there

is better control available today that in past years (again technology).

As to better subject matter, thats in the eye of the beholder.

No, I do not think photography has improved, it has only eveloved.

<i>There's a lot of empty, inane imagery around these days because the originators have nothing to say, celebrate, or explore - shrill, desperate bids for instant recognition should not be embraced out of misplaced charity, nor should they be accepted as a substitute for something genuine or real.

</i><p>

Examples?

I was about to say photography had gone down hill but then remembered all the great photo coverage of the Iraq war in the New York Times in the last few months. The photographers may never have the fame of some of the Life or FSA photographers but they are very good. Some of the TV news coverage is also good but the credits zip by so fast we will never know their names.

Of course photography has improved in the last 50 years, Travis. That's when most of us started adding our excellent images to the vast store of photographs. ;-)

I haven't read all of the previous responses yet, but I'm sure there are already enough that discuss improvements in materials and differences in artistic vision. Most of the latter, I think, are tied to variations in contemporary culture, shifts in philosophy, and raw trendiness. The trends tend to recycle every 20-30 years, as people forget how bad some of the techniques looked before. In many respects, I think we are more superficial, more "of-the-moment" now than in times past, even though we are more technically sophisticated. So, while improvements in materials and technology allow more people to take technically-better photographs, I'm not sure the average artistic vision could be called improved.

I think the problem is, we are following the rule thing, consciously, or unconsciously. Thirds, sharp. blah blah blah. Anything a bit different is hexed. We tend to be a rather formal lot.

If you look at a peace of Art, non-photographic, rules do not exist. However, photography is full of them. Sort of a clash going on.