richard s.

Thinking of buying a Leica 0-Series. The reviews are mixed at best,

the market price has sunk like a lead balloon, and there are few

examples of photos taken with it on the web. Yet somehow I am drawn

to it. My thought is to actually use it as one of my main cameras for

travel - have a feeling that it might help me to develop a more

unique perspective.

Any comments?

Richard, If you want to experience Leica Photography ala 1923, by all means, get an 'O' series camera. I've played with a loaner, and half the time I forget to put the lens cap on when winding the film and the other half of the time, I forget to take the cap off when shooting a picture. The lens is excellent. The camera delivers top flight 35mm quality of allthe ease of 4x5. Happy Snaps, Sal

If you have a camera at the moment, try using it by (1) holding it at a distance from you when using it, (2) without looking into the viewfinder (folows logically from [1]), (3) make a cardboard cutout frame for framing the view you would like to capture, (3) put the lens cap on every time you wind the film forward.

<P>There, I just saved you from buying a lead balloon! However, I can understand your sentiment: <I>"... Yet somehow I am drawn to it. ..."</I> for it explains the gestalt of Leica that a lot of people experience. Thanks for your candidness.

If you can get one at a good price, why not. Apart from having to keep the lens cap on while winding on, the main irritation will be loading film, presumably using an extended length leader. Optics are reportedly good. Take care while you are travelling; thieves will probably think it is a mobile phone

It take some getting used to. You have to think and be slow and

deliberate. It makes one appreciate modern advances but the results

are excellent. I believe you'll be a better photographer from the

experience. It's a jewel of workmanship. Enjoy, but remember there

is a learning curve and a few flubbed shot as you learn the shutter is

not self-capping.

Don't forget it's a pain to set the shutter speed, too, as you have to do it before the shutter is fully recocked. It's a fairly easy thing to use it as an "aperture priority" camera, though, as changing the aperture is done in the standard Elmar style. The viewfinder takes some getting used to but I have found it to be accurate, although you could also consider getting one of the Cosina/Voigtlander 50mm finders. It isn't the fastest camera around, that's for sure, but it is tiny and easy to carry, takes great pictures, and isn't that hard to use smoothly once you get the hang of it. I do not enjoy the film-loading process, I have to say.

I'm considering carrying mine as my only camera on a trip to Italy (but I probably won't).

What are they selling for now, by the way?

Richard, the camera won't help you "develop a more unique perspective," you do. In fact, every time you want to take a picture, stop yourself and wonder if there's yet another way to snap the shot. You can do it with any camera.

Now, if you're so inclined to get this gizmo, by all means do, but if I were you, I'd go for a folder camera and 120 film. That has done it for me (remember to cock the shutter, wind up the film, deal with funny shutterspeeds and make sure you don't double-expose the film).

In any case, have fun shopping!

Richard, I took delivery of one earlier this week. It is a nice

compact package. All the drawbacks have been previously

mentioned; but yet, there is a certain attraction to the machine. I

think Sal put it best, the care that must be exercised to put an

image on film is like shooting with a view camera. As such, your

images may be very well composed. A "decisive-moment"

instrument it is not.

Richard... I own have owned an O-Series for about a year and a half and I really enjoy it.

The lens is dynamite and, when used properly, it can do a really nice job. It actually does

make you "stop and think" a bit more before shots so. at times, you can have a slightly

different perspective on things.

That said... I would NOT recommend taking it as a primary camera on a trip. As a part time

shooter to have some fun, sure, but not as a primary. There are alot of mistakes you can

make in everyday usage, like not capping the lens before every shot, that will ruin the

photos. I always use my M7 for anything really important, the O for when I am out on a

Sunday just having some fun. I have a Contax T3 (forgive me Leica fans, I have a CM too :)

which is terrific for travel.<div>007Xn3-16817384.jpg.9340480fece5ac27e66d8b8e9b482607.jpg</div>

<I>Every</I> camera requires you to work in a certain way. My M6 is different than my SLR: in loading film, in focusing, in what way I turn the aperture ring, how I set the iso setting, etc.

<P>

Heck my Holga requires a double exposure every time I use the flash. Once with the flash on to capture the image then once with the flash switched off and the lens cap back on because for some reason the flash always fires for two exposures, no matter what. Then of course there is the tape over the film advance wheel, and the tape over the film count window, and the little pieces of film boxes jammed under the film take-up spools, and the�well you get the idea.

<P>

An �0� is what it is, if the method of use suits you, you may be very happy. Just try it first, because a $20 piece of plastic it�s not.

Well, I can appreciate the allure of the camera. I admit having

visions of Rodchenko & Lissitsky dancing in my head. I bought

one at a reduced price from a dealer & have not regretted the

purchase. It does take some getting used to for all the reasons

stated by others. My main cameras are a Minox GTE & Ricoh

GR-1s. The 50mm lens is the real difference for me & that

perspective, more than the operation of the camera. I wouldn't

use it as a travel camera alone, not when I have my other two

cameras available. All three fit together in a small descrete

army-surplus handbag, however.

I downloaded the manual for the new Digilux-2 recently & was

bewildered by the operational choices. The O-camera's manual