Shorter hood for 600mm f4?

chris_david

"Do you know what's the principle behind using a hood? :) Trust Canon, they really made it as short as it can be."

Yes, I know the concept of a hood. How many beginners have a 600mm lens? I'd like a more shallow hood for some applications and I'll live with the limitations.

<p>Or look for a gigantic toilet paper roll :-) Seriously, though, if you can find a tube that's slightly larger in diameter (admittedly not an easy thing to find in such a large size but perhaps there's a packing tube or something that might work) maybe you could make your own.</p>

Subject: Response to Shorter hood for 600mm f4?

Unless the question is tongue in cheek, the reasons for a lens hood is

1. To shield the front element from glare and to prevent stray light from entering the lens.

2. To protect the front element from accidental fingerprints, splashing water, dust, dirt, or greasy spray at the beach.

Look up hama.com. They have metal screw in lens hoods. Expensive, but far less costly than a Canon EOS factory replacement for it. I think Hama makes screw-in lens hoods out to 108mm.

Last reason to have a lens hood mounted: you're set up, waiting to get that rare Surfboard photo. The beach was too crowded and the only elevated place to shoot was a parking space (your rented from the beachfront restaurant). The asphalt is hot but it is cleaner there than down on the beach.

You're set up and ready to shoot.

Thirst, you dash into the restaurant to get a Pepsi/Coke whatever and as you turn to go back to your gear, to your horror you notice your assistant is occupied hitting on a girl while a casual camera person, intrigued by your setup, takes a peek through the viewfinder of your EOS 1n. S/he turns to walk away and their camera strap catches on the tripod leg and slowly, the tripod begins to topple over, lens element first.

You know the 600's filter ring is toast when it hits the concrete parking bumper. However, your most fervent hope is the element is not damaged.

Here is the operative question:

Would you rather have to replace a $140 lens hood o the front element of that 600mm Canon?

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure why anyone would WANT a shorter hood on an EF 600 4L given my experience shooting with one.

But if you MUST, all you need is to go to the local metal fab shop and have them cut an alum11inum tube to length and weld on 3 or 4 small tabs thick enough to allow you to drill and tap the holes you'll need to use for the affixing screws which you can find at a local or on-line telescope parts supplier. No seriously, look on the internet for an amatuer telescope parts supplier, they will have thumbscrews with rubber tips used to hold spoting scopes in the mounting rings used on a larger scope. If they don't have the rubber ones no big deal just by some tool grip dip when you buy your paint and edge trim at the hardware store. You an also use thumbscrews for computer caes but they will be smaller and harder to use. Shoot the epoxy or polyurethane paint in the color of your choice on the tube and allow it to cure. For the finiishing touch, add a bit of edge trim to the front edge and admire your new hood. All of this might cost you $50-$75 in materials and labor, your time is of course free.

HTH

>>>> Macman, what is the point of your responses?

The point is helping people to the best of my knowledge. That's what I do

around here besides learning myself.

The remark about you knowing what the purpose of a hood is that there is

little difference (and most of the time none) between a shorter hood and no

hood at all.

Macman,

Well if he had a spare $500(+? a replacement hood for an EF 300 2.8L is about $500USD from Canon USA, I don't think the hood for an EF 600 is a dime less), to blow on a hood he wanted to chop up I'm sure he'd rush out and order on ASAP. The replacement hoods for the Canon super teles are very expensive to buy.

HTH