Bought the 50mm f1.8 even though I have the f1.4

henricus

I was at my LCS today browsing the student lens bin and found close

to half a dozen Olympus OM 50mm lenses which included the f1.8 and

f1.4. I thought, what do I need another 50mm for anyway? After

looking at the price I decided to spend the $20.00 and I left with

the lens. The f1.8 is lighter and has a smaller profile and will be

useful for sunny days and long walks. However, I continue to have

that feeling that I didn't need it. Perhaps it will pass. :-)

I'm on the Canon side of things, but I am wondering the same thing. From what I've been able to read on the Canon side, the 50/1.8 loses to the 1.4 in just about every respect, except weight (the 1.8 is less than half the weight of the 1.4). The 50/1.8 is the only way to bring the camera+lens weight below 500g, especially when one wants to maintain good sharpness.

[shaking head sadly] Henry, Henry, Henry. Repeat after me, "My name is Henry ... and I am a Zuikoholic". It's not that you want another 50mm, you neeeeeed it!

I've been flailing away at 35mm with Olys for about twenty years now. The original 50/1.8 that I got on an OM-1 was permanently disfigured by a baggage-handling simian in the early 80's. It simply gave me the excuse to become a Zuikoholic. Now, please be assured that I CAN stop anytime ... really ... I can. But why?

The latest version of the 50/1.8, the "Made in Japan" or "MIJ" is the sharpest standard 1.8 lens they've made. I have a motley collection of 5 of them, most having come as "body caps", but I fairly jumped at the chance to purchase one recently NIB. It has wonderful contrast, as well. It beats "hands-down" (IMO) any of the <1,080,000 1.4's (Iknow I'll get quite a thrashing for that one). In many ways, it is superior to my black-nosed 55/1.2 which tends to go soft at the corners. I have not had the chance to compare it to a newer 50/1.2, but the 1.8 compares quite favorably with it in Gary Reese's lens tests.

Face it: for 1/35th the cost of a 40/2, you've got a great walking-around lens. I keep coming back to it. I now even favor it over a 37-70 zoom. Give in ;-).

At one time or another in the past 25 years I must have had about 10 different 50/1.8 lenses, they were all good performers. I only have 1 50/1.4, and I can't judge how good of a lens it is because it has a lot of dust, dirt, and maybe some fungus inside. I also have a 50/1.2 on the way and have not had any experience with that one, can anyone tell me how good or bad it's reputation is?

<i>[shaking head sadly] Henry, Henry, Henry. Repeat after me, "My name is Henry ... and I am a Zuikoholic". It's not that you want another 50mm, you neeeeeed it!</i><p>YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! [sobs] I admit it I have a problem, only it is worse than Zuikoholism it's worse than that. My problem is with all cameras. I must have them all![sobs]

<p>

<i>The latest version of the 50/1.8, the "Made in Japan" or "MIJ" is the sharpest standard 1.8 lens they've made.</i><p>I see. Mine just says Japan on it. Is this the older one? If it is then I must have this MIJ version. So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

I have a late 50/1.8, and not only is it sharp, but it has contrast and that smooth 3D look. It's light and was dirt cheap. I have lots of 50s: Pentax S-M-C 1.4 and super takumar 1.4, Leica summicron, elmar, and summitar, Canon FD 1.4 and EF 2.5 macro. For general use, the Zuiko is as good as or better than any of them, in my subjective opinion.

Hi Henry,

I've decided to try Olympus OM as well (not giving up my Nikon AF's for business work...just a try to compliment my Leicas). Picked up a OM-1 w/ 50mm 1.8 (early, #1,xxx,xxx with a lot of garbage, fungus?, stuff on the inside). Slides came out fine, but wasn't shooting into the sun.

Today, I picked up a NIB 50mm 1.8 (serial #5,xxx,xxx) and will test it when I get some good light, hopefully tomorrow.

I see this becoming an addiction....now where can I get a 100mm 2.8??

Todd,

<p>I think you'll absolutely love the OM system! I'm not a pro, but I have a Canon EOS 3 that I have stopped using because of the OM2. I just bought a 90mm f2 from <a href="http://stores.ebay.com/id=73431637&ssPageName=L2">Olympus</a> for just under $900.00, NIB. This is a fabulous lens with macro capability and perfect for portraits. I have two 50's (f1.4/f1.8), a 28mm f2.8 and the 90mm f2 for my OM2 and I am complete. I'm trying to get the courage up to sell the EOS 3. It just sits there, unused. I use my Leica and OM more than any of my cameras and I have over 20. :-)

<p>Try fleaBAY, for the 100mm f2.8. Also, check this <a href="http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm">lens test site</a>, it gives you test results for all the coolest lenses as well as an idea of the lens prices on fleaBAY.

Todd, I might be able to help feed your habit. I want to sell my

Zuiko 100 2.8. I'd settle for a little less than the Bay's going rate,

since the lens has a very, very minor case of the scrungy fungi. I

got great slides from it, but I need the cash to pay for my

new/ancient 85mm f2. johnmcmillin@mac.com