Two Days for LA Nature shooting

douglas_j._moo1

Never shot Death Valley or Joshua Tree, though I'm going to camp JT in February...

North of LA, I can recommend Ventura. There's a stretch of beach right off the freeway that has a bunch of short jettys that attract lots of birds. Also, channel islands aren't far, and they're part of a marine sanctuary.

If you head south, check out the Back Bay in Newport Beach. Natural wetlands. :-)

Last time I was in LA it was in February sometime in the mid-early 1990s. Anyway I took the trip to Joshua Tree and I wasn't disappointed. Lots of lizards (and I mean lots), a few Jackrabbits, some of the cactus in bloom and interesting rock formations. I'd certainly go back there if I was in the area.

My one experience of death valley (on another trip) made me think that I probably wouldn't go back there unless it was on the way to somewhere else. A long drive and not that much to see. Of course I'm sure if you really know the area there's an infinite number of interesting subjects for photography, but as a first time tourist, I didn't find too many of them!

I don't know the coast above LA too well. Big Sur and on up to Monteray is very scenic, but that's quite a long way north I think.

Suggest (2): Joshua Tree makes the most sense. It an exciting, very different sort of place. Can be cold there at night, BTW.

About (3): I live just outside Santa Barbara, about 1.5 hours up the coast from L.A. We get coastal haze here often enough that you might be disappointed if you visit for two days. The haze is less frequent in January, but you might get it, or rain, of course. Further up the coast, the Big Sur area is a very long drive away -- it is beautiful, and would be worth it for a longer trip or starting from San Francisco. Not good for two days from L.A.

About (1): Death Valley is just a long drive away. I've managed to visit only in times of strong winds, when setting a tripod or changing lenses was an invitation to disaster. Can't say that I've enjoyed sand in equipment and food, lying on top of a tent to keep it from blowing away while setting up ...

Joshua Tree is a fabulous day trip.

Death Valley can be an iffy proposition but, if you hit it right, it is a treat. January is probably not the best time of year, since the light may not be the best, and nothing is in bloom. Try April, when, for a few weeks, the desert is alive. Be prepared for weird temps at any time (except summer, when it's always hot), from sub-freezing to over 100F.

Grab a rent-a-car and head for Anza Borrego State Park in east San Diego county, (2-3 hour drive). The scenery is beautiful if your desire is desert images however there is a little bonus hidden in some of the side canyons. Near some of the palm oasis' the Desert Big Horn Sheep are very accepting of people and will almost pose for cameras. Last weekend was amazing after a short 2 mile hike. Rangers told me this has been normal behavior for a couple of herds. Do yourself a favor and get as far away from LA as ya can, as quickly as ya can.

I'd strongly suggest going for the desert areas. In addition to both Joshua tree and Anza Borrego, the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is a spectacular ride and offers both desert and mountain scenery. It is significantly colder and more wintery at the top and snow is possible. You are correct in assessing that Death Valley is a stretch in two days.

Coastal areas are nice but you really need to get further north for the more spectacular scenery. Birding is possible at Bolsa Chica and other areas (Newport as noted.)

Although certainly "artificial," the San Diego Wild Animal Park might be of interest to you. It's not set up strictly for photography but there are some walking access areas that have opportunities to shoot nonAmerican animals and birds in an environment pretty much unduplicated on this continent. You might want to consider mixing it in with Anza Borrego. Just a thought.

• 4 years later...
Could someone describe what would be available in Bolsa Chica, Anza Borrega, Joshua Tree and Mojave National Preserve in late June? Will it be too hot for 11-year olds in the desert at that time? I am also interested in a trip to the Channel Islands. Could someone tell me about those, too? Thanks.