M users: which digital camera?

I too have a Canon Digital Elph. Size of a thick credit card. takes great pictures. Caution: I gave mine to one of my wife's daughters, and I don't know what she did, but the zoom won't work anymore, so now it's a fixed focal length camera. I had bought a newer one, so of course gave it to her and have the old one back. So in the end, these digis are not as solid as Leica M's.

They have since come out with an even thinner one. I read a review in the Wall Street Journal last week, where they tested a few of these cameras and the Minolta X (something like that) came out the best, even though it had a smaller count of mega pixels. And on top of that its lens does not protrude out of the body, even while zooming. Sounds more solid, and will probably be my next small digi.

I find the Canon SD10 interesting because of its apparent simplicity and compactness while still ofering 4mp. However I don't like the limitations of jpg format. It may be my ignorance but any manipulation of jpg (such as rotating the picture) seems to produce odd effects like banding in a clear blue sky or produces moire patterns in brick walls.

Try the Canon S50. It is a bit bigger than the Elphs, but has some advantages in my experience -- 5 Mp and fits the hand better. It may not fit in your pocket, though, but I think it will. Luminous Landscape has a useful review. For tinyness the Minolta Dimage X series (I forget the latest model number) is worth a look.

I'll double the vote on the Powershot S50. Most places are running specials bundled with a 512 compact flash card, usually for a pretty decent price (under $500.) Image quality and the shutter lag both beat the elph cameras by a smidge. Sliding cover on the lens makes it coat pocketable. And it is cool black.

I took this with my wife's new Canon Elph SD10. In terms of image quality, it can not beat my 4 year old coolpix 800, still far from Stylus Epic.

My wife bought this as a movie camera. Belive me, the one mintue movie (14 MB) is very impressive. ;-)<div>007Zx1-16870784.thumb.jpg.54968645f4e9c9f489eb98343d7fdd62.jpg</div>

Hi David. I think the Panasonic LC33 is a fantastic pocketable digital camera. It offers 3.2 megapixel resolution and utilizes a Leica-designed zoom lens. I found the shutter response to be quite snappy. Controls and menus were well laid out. It had a nice grip integrated on the side - like a mini M-grip. Most importantly, I was satifisfied with the images taken with it. They can be found on ebay for less than $200. See <a href="http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/lc33.html">Steves-digicams.com</a> for a review. There is also a newer version, the LC43, which offers 4 megapixel resolution.<p>

Here are some links to shots taken with the LC33, <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00741x">HERE</a> and <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0075t4">HERE</a>.

Canon S400. I went through half a dozen other ones including the S50 which had too

much noise for my tastes. There is a new 5mp S400 but if it has the S50 sensor I would

watch the noise. It may not bother some folks but I like the cleaner 4mp files better.

Brian

I guess it depends on your needs and size of pocket (and pocket book?). I've had a Canon A40 (2.0 MP) for about 2 years and use it primarily to record parts, assemblies and packed work that we do for various customers. Used to run a roll of film through and hope that I got the details that we might need to check on a future repeat of the same type custome products. Digital is much more efficient and I like the4 rechargeable AA batteries that this camera takes as a trade-off for smaller size.

Barry Mabery

I can't speak to the noise of the Canon S50, but I was in a similar situation as you awhile back. I bought the S40, for most things it does a remarkable job. It's not as slim as the Elph line, but is small enough for a jacket pocket. It has full manual controls, not in the traditional M way, but manual none the less. My only real complaint is the shutter lag common to most P&S digitals. Shooting in manual with the shutter press halfway, shutter lag is something like .04 seconds. Not an M, but quick enough most of the time.

It is a beautiful camera, a piece of gem. But if you are a "camera control freak", this camera is not for you.

1. No optical viewfinder.

2. No aperture control, except for +/- EVs exposure compensation.

3. No manual focus.

4. Absolutely useless at ISO 400 (due to noise). Suggest ISO 50 + flash.

5. No zoom, only 49mm/f2.8. (Perhaps this is the only merit that Leica guys appreciate ;-)

6. It does have shutter-lag. But improved compared to other digital P&S.

Oh, BTW, for only $329 in J&R, it is way too cheap for a deluxe camera with leather case.<div>007a8X-16873984.jpg.448740674e60016eeb9fbc5edfc4732a.jpg</div>