V35 enlarger - B/W printing with color head?

mikep1

I'm getting back into the wet darkroom and have found several Leitz

Focomat V35s available - all with color heads. My previous Darkroom

experience is totally B/W using enlargers without color heads. Is

there any disadvantage to using a color head for B/W? Can the color

be "dialed out" so there is no effect?

I was originally thinking of trying to find a nice Focomat 1c but the

prices are very high - all the bidders are from Japan - apparently

collectors. They don't seem to be collecting the V35...yet.

Mike, If you check with the manufacturer of your favorite photographic paper, they can supply you with the filter formulas for the various contrast grades of paper. You can just dail them in via the color head. Filtration above the negative will give you a greater level of sharpness than filters below the lens. Happy Snaps, Sal

Mike...

To add to what Sal said. Leica has the color filter equivalent combos for VC contrast

grades, at least they did when I called them several years ago asking the same

question. And I might add that after trying that arrangement -- dialing in 3 colors to

mimic VC grades -- I bought the V35 VC head and was (and still am) WAY happier

with the convenience and results. I have no idea where you can find one but I'd bet

they turn up from time to time in any of the usual places.

About Focomat 1c enlargers, there is a 1c "color" that has a filter drawer in the head

above the condenser. You may have to knock the tab off polycontrast filters to use

the drawer (I forget) but it works pretty well...even if a bit awkward. The 1c has a

different "look" vis a vis the V35...both amazing enlargers.

Good luck,

MH

A color head works quite well for B&W and with variable contrast papers.

Kodak provides color head settings corresponding to different contrast grades in the paper data sheets; I believe that this is true of the other manufactureres as well. Papers differ in the "hardest" contrast grade that is possible with a given color head. Polymax RC, for example, will print all the way to grade #5 with an Omega Dichroic head, for example, but Polymax Fine Art delivers a grade #4 at the same filtration. If a higher contrast grade is required then use a gel VC filter, such as the Ilford, under the mixing box with the color head set for white light.

There are two different tables of color head settings vs. contrast grade value being published. One type of table is speed matched, like most VC filter sets, and an exposure determined with one set of filter settings will be approriate (or approximately appropriate) for others in the table. The other type of table is not speed matched and generally these tables offer settings for higher contrast grades than the speed matched tables.

This is true of some VC filter sets as well, where the filters are really only speed matched over a part of their range and not matched above contrast grade #4.

B&W printing with a color (i.e., dichro) head is terrific. Using VC papers, just set the magenta and yellow filtration to get normal contrast (which is the grade 3 setting on a dichro head), make a test strip and test print to find the right exposure, then make finer contrast adjustments by dialing in compensating adjustments to the Y and M settings. For instance, for more contrast, dial in 20 more units of M, and dial in 20 fewer Y units, and you'll get more contrast with the same overall exposure, thus eliminating the need for more test strips. For me, it's much faster and uses less paper than a condensor enlarger with those VC filters.

Mike, get the book "Leica Darkroom Practice" . It give all the

filtration and compensation factors for printing b/w with a color

head. I'm sure you can get it from www.camerabooks.com Having said

that, I finally broke down and got a VC unit which is still available

from Leica Parts Dept. It really simplifies the process. Enjoy the

V35...it's a magnificent instrument.

mike, you can use it with no problem at all. ilford papers include the correct

setting for the V35 in all their boxes in half a grade increments. the only

diference with the vario-contrast module is that exposure times remain the

same at diferent contrast settings with the v/c module.

<i>You are better off with condensers for B&W, unless you use chromogenic B&W films. Condensers provide better contrast and tonal qualty.</i>

<p>

Complete nonsense. A skilled printer can make prints from each type that will look identical. I did it regularly while using the two different enlarger types. Then I settled on a dichro head for its superior ease of use.

Hans wrote: <b>You are better off with condensers for B&W, unless you use chromogenic B&W films. Condensers provide better contrast and tonal qualty.</b><p>

Douglas K. replied.<p>

<i>Complete nonsense. A skilled printer can make prints from each type that will look identical. I did it regularly while using the two different enlarger types. Then I settled on a dichro head for its superior ease of use.</i><p>

Hans retorts: Douglas repeats, innocently, a typical misconception that has led many miniature-format workers astray. A skilled photographer develops his film according to the kind of enlarger he uses. When using a condenser enlarger, the film is typically developed about 20% less. This, in itself, provides a sharper, finer-grained negative, which is essential for 35mm work. The condenser provides more contrast, which makes up for the difference in developing time. Using a slightly higher grade of paper ( 2 1/2 to 3) is also advisable. <p>

This misconception has been repeated so many times, that I thought it important to set the record straight. Settling for 'ease of use' is just that: <b>settling</b>. The worker interested in superior results uses condensers. Don't settle, aim for the best.

Your "retort" does not even attempt to explain how the condensor head provides "better contrast and tonal qualty." And if you can see the greater sharpness and smaller grain resulting from 20% shorter development (an excessive adjustment, in my experience), then congrats to you.

I've used both light sources with the same negs, I find dichro heads more convenient, and I have always been able to match print quality from one type to the other. Ergo, I prefer the dichro head. That's real experience, not self-justification for my own decisions or repeating something read in a book.

Douglas K. , feb 29, 2004; 08:17 p.m.

Your "retort" does not even attempt to explain how the condensor head provides "better contrast and tonal qualty."

Simple: The Callier effect.

"And if you can see the greater sharpness and smaller grain resulting from 20% shorter development (an excessive adjustment, in my experience), then congrats to you."

I can. Too bad for you. Have your vision checked.

"I've used both light sources with the same negs, I find dichro heads more convenient, and I have always been able to match print quality from one type to the other. Ergo, I prefer the dichro head. That's real experience, not self-justification for my own decisions or repeating something read in a book."

The point is you don't use the same negs!!!!

You develop the film differently!

Convenience is NOT the same thing as QUALITY.

If you care to read what I wrote and respond to that, then we can continue.

Mike, I've got the book that lists settings corresponding to contrast grade for Ilford and (Agfa or Kodak?) variable contrast papers. It also lists corresponding filter factors to compensate for exposure time differences. Email me if you want the info, I don't have the book handy at the moment.

Actually Douglas' suggestion to dial out equal parts of yellow when you dial up magenta to increase contrast.... sounds like a good one. I'll have to try that myself.

The VC head is probably the ideal solution, but the color head works sufficiently. Add a $1500 Highland Splitgrade for automated exposure calculation if you want to really speed up the darkroom process.

Actually, I did begin adjusting my film speed and development times when I switched to the diffusion light source (dichro head). So I was producing different negs. The resulting prints, made with the dichro head, looked better than the earlier negs made for the condensor enlarger.