Scanning and Dust

The camel hair brush is a good idea. Also a blower. Also clean the

scanner glass with a photo cloth and blower. If you still get dust,

it is easy to spot with Photoshop. Use the eyedropper around the

dust mark. Go to the brush and reduce it to very small size (about 2

pix.) and go at the spot. You can blend it by using the eyedropper

on a slightly different tone and then going to the brush; or you can

use the blur or smudge tools. Reduce both to about 2 or 3 pix.

1. Scan the negatives or slides immediately after processing.

2. I use a couple of puffs of air from a pressurized can to remove dust before

scanning.

3. Use digital ICE if your scanner has it and your film is compatable.

4. I remove any remaining specks using the photoshop CLONE tool.

In answering your question, this is the Leica Photography Forum and the thread is about scanning and dust. You're welcome. ;o)<p>BTW, you've got a very nice portfolio, congrats. How do cope with dust when scanning? Most of my scanning and file prep time is consumed by dust removal, be it Leica or non-Leica negs. That's why I find this thread informative.

Lutz,

Thanx for the comments... I understand everyones interest in dust on negs when scanning but I just wouldnt expect to find *that* topic under the Leica thread. And, just the general direction of this forum as of late has been a little frustrating.

As for my solution (...and only for image taken with the Leica), colour negs I use ICE with the Nikon ED4000 but for B&W its try and clean the neg as much as possible before the scan then at 100% on the monitor work across the image with the <patch> tool in PS. I agree it is time consuming!

...and after 8 months of no functional computer, I have decided to get a new Apple G5, so as of yesterday I now have the daunting tasking of scanning what Ive shot in that time.

regards

Craig / Beijing<div>007ab9-16888584.jpg.1c92235b3578d58c2cfa5951a4630250.jpg</div>

<i>Good luck to anyone who tries to use a Mac G5 for digital photography. I've had mine for six weeks and just brought it in for warranty repair.</i><br>So, where does this comment "belong to", Jim? Apple Bashing Forum? ;o)<p>Hey, guys, this used to be a community, not a directory. It used to be THE source to hang out and share knowledge, more or less Leica related, by people with a common interest and a respect for each other - and as far as that goes, yes, there have been some changes lately... the air has gotten thick with bullies and (self-)appointed sheriffs. While I guess that more than 50% of this "modern" attitude springs from frustration of long time forumers over the way of the drain that this forum is going. <p>The Oxford Dictionary gives me two definitions of "forum". <br>

1) a meeting or medium for an exchange of views<br>

2) <i>chiefly N. Amer.</i> a court or tribunal<br>

So, it's up to you. I prefer No. 1.

<p>Nice pic, Craig!