What do you guys do with tilty buildings?

adnan

Took this picture just a little while ago with a wide angle lens and

tried fixing the perspective in Photoshop (just a three second

operation using "skew"). Is it convincing? The bottom edge of mural'd

side of the building seems to point down unnaturally. I'll post the

original in a follow up post for comparison.

How do you minimize this in the first place besides holding the bottom

of the camera parallel to the ground?<div>007XmB-16816984.jpg.df98f3d1cb892adf6b637ec20f489a4c.jpg</div>

If you want to square up a building that has a flat facade, PS perspective transformation or tilting the enlarging easel can work fairly well. In the darkroom it's even better if you have an enlarger with a tilting lens stage so you can correct focus as well using the Scheimpflug principle. These methods are roughly similar to using rear tilt on a view camera.

If the building has many surfaces that are different distances from the lens or if it is not a straight-on view, then you'll never get all the planes quite square, though often some perspective transformation/easel tilt will help. In this case the only solution short of a view camera or T/S lens with front rise is to shoot with a wider lens, level the camera so that all lines are square, and crop out the excess foreground.

Convergence of vertical lines is caused by pointing the camera upwards. Keep the camera level, shoot with a wide angle lens to cover the entire subject you're shooting, and crop the extranous stuff at the bottom of the frame when you print it.

"What do you guys do with tilty buildings?"

I try to have a Nikon body along, with my 28mm PC Nikor, or 35mm PC Nikor. Alternatively, I will use a very wide angle lens, most likely in the vertical (portrait) position, amd frame the buliding in the upper part of the frame. The lower part will then be foreground, usually the street in front of the building. This enables me to hold the camera with the back parallel to the building front (i.e. vertical). If the street in front is uninteresting, I can crop it out later. Sometimes, it's worth keeping as part of the composition.

My version is a bit different -- I like to leave a bit of perspective in as I find it generates a more "real" look to the image. Secondly, in addition to perspective issues, this image was tilted significantly which required a rotation and crop, losing much off the top og the frame. Skew can alleviate this, but it also distorts the image significantly, and while not a huge problem for a small web jpeg, it can be a real problem in a larger print. Anyway, I rotated, croped, transformed perspective, brought up the shadows a bit, adjusted color a bit and here is what I came up with:<div>007YAe-16824684.jpg.a6419fa029f8bfe48c85b890524d7bbb.jpg</div>