Nikon CoolScan V ED or Minolta 5400?

I am hesitating between these 2 scanners, that sell almost the same

price (in France).

I want to scan 24*36 color slides.

Any idea?

Is the Nikon software better than the Minolta's? (If yes, is this

easily dealt with by buying the program Vuescan?)

By the way, up to what size may I expect to be able to print from

either scanner?

Thanks,

David

Bonjour David,

I have been playing with my Minolta Elite 5400 since mid October, and I am very pleased with the results (I consider that the Grain Dissolver is a Must-have). If you scan Color Negatives, you will have to use Vuescan (very good) or use a trick with Minolta Software (scan as positive for Negs with larger density range). Some units are defective, so you have to carefully choose where to buy the '5400' (return if needed).

The Nikon CoolScan V seems to be excellent. "Chasseur d'Images" will make a comparison between those two scanners (check new issue + forum on www.photim.com). It is slightly cheaper than the '5400' (749 euros vs 770 euros).

Olivier

I suspect the Minolta will have better resolution and with the grain dissolver, a more forgiving light source (for dust and scratches), but that the Nikon will have better shadow noise. This is pure speculation, take it with a grain of salt.

>>I want to scan 24*36 color slides<<

Pay attention to Fazal's comment about shadow noise. I saw more of that on a 5400 colour scan than on one made on a 4000ppi Nikon (can't remember the model name). In any case, the 5400's are breaking down all over the world. Check the posts on this forum.

"In any case, the 5400's are breaking down all over the world."<p>

Hmmm... Peter, I know that having to cope with a defective unit is particularly irritating, but don't you think that this comment is a bit... 'extreme' ?<br>

I mean that one person may decide not to buy a '5400' just because of this post. But in fact, he would probably (>95% ?) have received a unit in perfect condition, and enjoyed excellent Scans. However, I agree that this seems to be an issue (ie: above usual levels) and should be indicated (kind of "cover your Ass" advice).<p>

Thank you for your feedback about Noise (Nikon's Scanners seem to be really excellent on this).

<p>

Olivier