adjusting WB in post processing

Last night for the first time I used my 300d under tungsten light.

I knew that if I shot RAW I could fix the colour later, however I've

had a little play around and I don't feel that I'm getting the best

results.

All my images are converted to 8bit tiffs, Ive tried removing the

colour cast using the eyedropper, and using auto adjust (in

Photoshop Elements 2).

Is there a way of getting the white balance output from the Canon

software?

Is Photoshop Elements the best way?

Is it something else?

Im using CS, so Im not sure if Photoshop Elements 2 allows you to adjust the levels

manually or not. If they do like in normal Photoshop, select the grey eyedropper (I

usually stay away from the black and white eyedropper, you have a little more

selection of color temp. with the grey point) Just use the help section in PS Elements 2

for more info on white balance and levels.

If you are using Canon ZoomBrowser for converting your RAW files you change the WB there. ZoomBrowser isn't very good, and you may want to get BreezeBrowser for a better converter. Anyway, in ZoomBrowser, highlight the RAW image you want to convert and go to the tools menu and choose 'Process RAW images....' You will now get a display that near the top left next to an eyedropper symbol is a drop down menu to give you the WB options. Make sure you have the correct type of camera selected in the other menu nearby. That is as good as it gets, which is why you may want to explore other RAW processors.

Phil

Sunil is correct, use Canon Fileviewer utility to adjust WB before converting to tiff format - it'll save you hrs of fooling around in PS or Elements or whatever

If you want something faster and more user friendly for adjusting your RAW files and converting to tiff or jpeg check out Breezebrowser or Capture One software