Close up lens choices

balaji_obalapuram

I have a Canon EOS system and am planning to get close up lenses for

macro photography(flowers & bugs). I plan to use these with the

28-70/f2.8 & 70-210/f2.8 lenses. The thread size for both these lenses

is 77mm. Canon has 500 & 500D closeup lenses with this filter size. I

am interested in the 500D but find it kind of expensive.

I have a set of Koenko extension tubes. I want to supplement these

with the closeup lenses since these are easier to use than extension

tubes and will come handy at the longer end of 70-210.

The Nikon closeup lenses don't cost as much but are of smaller size

and I am hesitant to use them with step down rings.

B&H has other brands(B+W, Tiffen, Heliopan, Hoya etc) of closeup

lenses which do not cost as much and offer more choices(+1,+2,+4).

Does anybody have experience with these brands ? How do they compare

to Canon's or Nikon's ?

Thanks in advance.

I have had good experience with the Canon 500D. I have not tried the 500. I think that if you're currently used to the top-end quality of the Canon L lenses, you might be disappointed with if you try a closeup lens that is of lesser quality. Therefore, I suggest you stick with the Canon 500D.

Some close up lenses are made to be used on telephoto lenses (like the Nikons you mentioned and I believe the Canon - but as I don't shoot Canon I'm not sure). The Nikons are actually two element lenses. Other close up lenses are made to use on a 50mm lens. These sometimes come in sets and are less expensive. Those made to work with telephotos may not work well with your short zoom but until you try, who knows? I've seen lots of combinations that weren't supposed to work, but did.

You will have to check with B&H or the filter companies to see if they make close up lenses for telephoto lenses. The Canon might be expensive, but so is buying something that doesn't do what you need it to do.

George

Both the Nikon and (some of) the Canon closeup lenses are two element achromats - that's why they are expensive. I think the difference between the 500 and 500D is that the "D" is a Double element lens.

Most, if not all, the "3rd party" close up lenses are a simple one-element lens, so they are cheaper and do not perform as well. I'd avoid them.

I use Nikon cameras and lenses but am a great believer in the

Canon 500D. It is designed to work on lenses in the telephoto

range and I use it on an 80-200 �/2.8D AF-Nikkor , the N

equivalent of your Canon lens.<P>

You don't know me from a hole in the ground but trust me on this

one point: you won't regret acquiring a Canon 500D. When you

spread the cost out over a few years of use you'll see what a true

bargain it is.

Hi Balaji,

I use the Nikon 67mm close up lens on my 70-200L white beast with a step down ring and it works great and is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the canon version. You will be stopping your lens down for maximum depth of field anyway and using the stepping ring just begins that process for you.

John

Here is a site with all (most) of the currently available 2 element achromat close-up lens.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html

For a 77mm filter size, unless you want to step down, there seems to be only one choice. An alternative that might give you just as good results is a 100/3.5 Vivitar, which will hardly weigh less than a 2 element achromat. BTW, single element CU lens are softer at the edges and softer full aperture.

Also the diopter should roughly match the minimum focusing distance of your lens. Otherwise there will be an overlap or gap when attaching the CU lens to your zoom. If the minimum focus distance for the CU lens matching the 70-300 is the same or similar as your zoom, then it would be a good match.

Warren

I'm going to buck the trend and suggest that, since you already own the extension tube set, you get a 50mm/f1.8 lens and use it with the tubes. Pricewise it won't be much different from a 2-element close-up lens, and it has other uses too.

I have a 77mm 500D that I use on a Nikon system, and I am pretty sure it is comparable to yours. I bought the 500D about a year ago to extend the capabilities of my beloved Nikon AF-S 80-200/f2.8, and I have been pleased with the results. Even with a 1.4x Teleconverter (TC14-E), getting close to life-size ratio,

the image quality remains very good. The upside of this combo is that you have a fast f/2.8 macro-zoom with bright viewfinder, ultra-fast

focusing capabilities, and retain high image quality up to f/11, so this might be very helpful. The downsize --besides price-- is principally

weight, because to the already heavy 55oz zoom, you add another heavy 16oz diopter. To me, this is a big deal. Also, the 80-200 zoom is

becoming softer towards the long-end, so you might want to stay in the 100-150mm range for maximum sharpness.<P>

I shoot more flowers than bugs, and since then I got a real top-notch macro lens --AF 200/f4 Micro-Nikkor--, and I have to say there is no

competition for macro capabilities and image quality. The macro lens is much sharper, lighter, has one perfectly smooth tripod collar and

focusing is more precise. I rarely use the 500D these days, I kept it however for those rare occasions I need a macro zoom or fast aperture or

focusing, and also because it fits my 400/f5.6 Nikkor, giving me life-size with a huge 50cm reach.

<P>

In summary, if you are looking to extend the capabilities of your 70-210/f2.8, get the 500D. If you anticipate doing macro regularly, want top

quality images, and excellent handling/focusing, get a real macro lens, in your case the Canon 180mm/f3.5 macro or 100mm/f2.8 macro. I think

it is worth going to your camera store, and compare the handling/capabilities of both systems before you decide.