Using slower zooms on 1N (17-40L/70-200f4)

dermot_conlan4

1n and 70-200 f4 L ..............never had a problem, even when using the 1.4X teleconverter (though it is mostly bright outside work.

I also have a 200 f2.8L and it is arguably a teeny weeny bit faster to lock focus but not enough that I would shell out the 3X cost for the 70-200 2.8L over the f4

1n is still a pretty hot performer.

What a strange question� You must know that the EOS1n �high performance center cross AF sensor� reverts to a �average vertical sensor� when NOT using lenses with f2.8 for faster?

I know that I need �horizontal contrast� features when I use a f3.5-4.5 zoom with my EOS3 to track a moving target (slow or fast). I don�t need that �horizontal contrast� feature when I use the same lens on my ElanII. I could NOT track such movements with the EOS3/100-300 f5.6L lens but I had no problems tracking similar moving target with the ElanII/100-300 f5.6L!

I do not have the EOS1n, 17-40 f4L but I traded my 100-300 f5.6L for a 70-200 f2.8L (+1.4xTC). What I could NOT track with the EOS3 but could track with the ELANII is no problems now with both cameras.

Sometime I use my wife�s 70-200 f4L with my EOS3 and it will track people or objects quite beautifully, because the �high performance center cross AF sensor� of the EOS3 is good until f4.

Good luck

Me again�

My comments above are in a AI-SERVO AF context, with moving target. If you are talking about ONE-SHOT AF, I did notice some little �snap into focus� difference while using 3.5-4.5 zooms compared to fast 2.8 lenses. I definitely noticed more focus hunting using EOS3/100-300 f5.6L but no focus hunting with the ElanII/100-300 f5.6L. I loved that lens but I wanted to work with the EOS3, so� bye-bye 5.6L, hello 2.8L. I also traded my old trusty 28-70 f3.5-4.5II for a 28 f2.8, 35 f2, 50 f1.8 and I am looking for a 85 f1.8. (traded slightly slow focus for very slow lens swaping�).

Good luck

I used to own an EOS 1N and it's a wonderful tool with fast glass. e.g., F2.8 or faster. Unfortunately, the cross AF sensor reverts to a simple vertical sensor with slower glass and is fairly useless. The AF isn't slow, just not reliable with slower lenses. A used EOS 3 is a better choice for F4 glass and doesn't cost much more than a 1N.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter