lens was 6 years old and I read about people having problems with

some lenses.<br>

Well the EF works fine, so I tried a test where I compared the 2

lenses to see how close the lenses operate. <br>

I have posted the web page describing the test with the images at

<a href="http://www.ajb.com/eos">http://www.ajb.com/eos</a>

<br>

As an extra, the first picture give an idea of the difference between

the viefinder coverage, snd the actual photo output.

I think most people consider the 18-55 and 28-80 to be similar in quality and price (except that the 18-55 only works on ONE camera).

Most people would recommend buying slightly better lenses as a starting point for any camera, but especially the expensive digitals. Specifically, good starting lenses include the 24-85/3.5-4.5 and 28-105/3.5-4.5 (NOT the 28-105/4.5-5.6). I would suggest saving the $100 on the 18-55, and put it towards one of these two lenses.

Many suggest the 17-40/4L as the ideal STARTER lens for a DSLR. I disagree for two reasons: (1) Frankly, it is expensive ($700) for a starter lens, and (2) it is a bit on the short, wide angle side.

The example gives a good indication of the angle of view, but not much with respect to quality.

Unfortunately, the Canon midpriced zooms (like the 28-105USM or 24-85USM) are not short enough with an APS C sized sensor, if you care at all about having any wide angle coverage. The 18-55 seems to be a reasonable choise for $100 unless you can spring for a 17-40L or go the to third party 17-35 or 15-30 lenses (or the new small sensor Sigma zooms that have been anounced).

<i>Many suggest the 17-40/4L as the ideal STARTER lens for a DSLR.</i><p>I don't think anyone suggests the 17-40L as a <i>starter</i> lens. This implies that the user would be upgrading at some point, and the 17-40 would be hard to improve on. The 17-40 is simply <i>THE Ideal Lens</i> for a Canon DSLR. No upgrades necessary. It gives the view of 27.2mm - 64mm with superb results, as opposed to the suggested 28-xx lenses which give 44.8mm at their widest end with good results.<p>Anyone desiring wider shots will indeed need to upgrade from a 28-xx lens, so why not get it up front? I went on vacation with a 10D and took a 24mm, 28-135 IS, and 50mm 1.8 with me. Constantly switched between the 24mm and the wide end of the 28-135, and not only was this very inconvenient, it rarely let me get everything I wanted in the frame. As soon as we got home, we sold the 24 and bought the 17-40 and it basicly lives on the camera now.<p>My advice is to start with the widest lens you can on a DSLR, whether the 18-55, 17-40, or (gasp! I can't believe I am about to suggest this,) Sigma's new 18-50. Then build up the focal range of your lenses from there.

Now that the caffeine has kicked in, I see that Jim could have meant "first lens" when he said "starter lens". I was thinking he meant something like a "starter lens which would be set aside when better glass is obtained." But I still think the widest zoom lens possible is the best to start with on a DSLR.