Any E-1 User Comments?

roger_c._parker

Has anyone been using the new Olympus E-1 4/3;s digital SLR system

yet? It has received good reviews and makes a lot of sense.

But, has anyone actually used one to take serious photographs yet?

How do members feel about the trade off of high quality for non-

compatability with Canon, Nikon lenses?

Roger C. Parker

Re: The OM lens adapter, John Hermanson (Camtech) had a picture of it on his website for a short time, with the explanation that the picture came from a page on Olympus's own website that was only accessible to authorized OM dealers. Then the picture disappeared from his site without further comment. I could speculate that perhaps Olympus asked him to remove it. (?) So the answer to the question about the adapter is definately a possible yes. (Please don't rain down a flurry of questions on John. I'm sure he's very busy, and probably can't give us an official answer anyway. Let's all just wait to see what Olympus has to say.)

Remember that an OM lens of any particular focal length will have an angle of view about half as wide when applied in the 4/3 format. So your wider OM lenses will be the most useful, if that adapter turns out to be real.

I feel Olympus is making a terrible marketing blunder by not pushing forward an OM adapter for the E-1 and making it broadly available. It may not be optimal to use OM-mount lenses on the E-1, but Olympus has to overcome the image of a company that turned its back on the OM faithful. They're not going about it very convincingly.

<p>I personally lost faith in them and picked up the OM-EOS adapter and a Canon 300D. Works great with my Zuikos (see <a href="http://www.pbase.com/gwilburn/lenses" target="_blank"><b>Adapted Lenses</b></a>). I'm happy with the camera and am transitioning to Canon-mount AF lenses. Loved (and still love) the OM, but the E-1 just didn't excite me.

• 4 weeks later...