Kodak Flash Bantam: How Do I Confirm Focus?

k_michael

Chris is correct, there is no rangefinder on that model Bantam.Also, it takes 828 film which is slightly larger than 35mm (24x40) with a paper back, and is long obsolete. I understand it may still be available at a higher price, or you can modify 120 rolls IF you have the proper spools. Do a Google.com search one:>> 828 Film <<

Film for Classics sells 828 film, I think. If not, you can modify 127 (not 120) by slitting the film and backing together to the 35 mm width; the frame width for 828 is the same as that for 127 square format, and the 127 square frame numbers run up the center of the strip -- bad news is, that means you'd be slitting about 5 mm off each edge of the 127, and still requires you to have at least two 828 spools. Once you have a few lengths of backing paper, though, you could obtain unperforated 35 mm bulk film and make up your rolls, which gives you a much wider choice of emulsions than you have in 127 (still commercially made in Europe, you can choose from 1-2 B&W, one color print, and one color slide, IIRC). Or, if you have a source of 127 backing paper (a local processor might be able to give you some, if they get 127 film in occasionally and know you want it) and 828 spools, you can cut down the backing paper and proceed directly to the unperfed 35 mm stock.

I might add, some of the best 35 mm images I ever produced were with a Pony 135, which was identical to the Pony Bantam, which was the upgraded version of the Flash Bantam. The Pony, at least, had an exceptional lens for a basic camera; I used a close-up accessory lens to take macro images of tiny flowers at distances of a couple inches, with surprisingly good results -- and a 4x6 print filled by three flower heads each 2 mm across in life can make your day... B)