Hood Solution for 40mm Summicron-C

Here's the link to <A href=http://www.cameraquest.com/leicacl.htm>Gandy's solution</a>, which involves unbranded metal hoods whose threads "are not an exact match for those on the lens, but it still works, because after about a half a turn the hood is tight." I know Jay's a CL user, so I trust his knowledge over Gandy's, who says the hoods "have not been available new from Leica in many years."

I have never liked the rubber lens hood for the Summicron C, and when mine rotted and fell apart I grafted a rectangular plastic shade made for the Retina onto the remains. It is practically flare free for all practical purposes. I ran into the same problem with the 90. A shortened Leica extension tube grafted onto the threaded ring solved the problem and resulted in a much better shade. Regarding the frame lines, I most always crop my images anyhow so I use the 50mm frame lines in my M6, and it avoids mutilating an expensive lens.

As said above, just order replacements by Leica. I did this last week. Hood = 12518 = 29.00 EURO. Hood cap = 14191 = 6.03 EURO. Shipment = 1 week.

NOTE: 2/40 hood = screw-in; 2/35 hood = clip-in.

BTW: current rectangular hood for the 35mm f/2 Summicron = 12526 = 90.00 EURO. Hood cap = 14043 = 15.00 EURO.

FWIW: Today, 1.00 EURO = 1.15160 US$.

• 2 years later...