D70 is Official

oxskumxo

"Will they be using Foveon's technology?"

Doubt it because I believe they and Sigma have an exclusive thingie going. also that would make the 6.1mp sensor on the D70 a pseudo 18 million effective pixels sensor seeing as feveon X3 chip claims to do that.

i believe its just the sensor from the D100 that has had a lil upgrade, hopefully less noise

Now what im really wondering is seeing as the D70 is basically on par with the D100 from what we know now, WHY would you want a D100 for more money???? Unless of course Nikon has a D200 in the works

Brandon,

I also bought a D100 a few months ago. There are some features on the D70 I would like to have on my D100 but it's a never ending battle to keep up with technology. The only thing the D70 has the at I'd want is the faster flash sync and the RGB color metering (like the D2h and F5). Essentially you should be able to take the same pictures, with very similar quality, using either body. Who knows, six months to a year from now a D200 could show up.

I'm paraphrasing this from another post I saw but it does make sense: You can sell your D100 for around $1000 and pick up a D70, but what about the $500-600 you lost? I'd rather save the aggravation of all that and buy a new lens.

On the other hand, to those who are new to DSLR's I'd go for it in a second! :-)

YMMV,

Angelo

It looks like the D70 will <B>replace</B> the D100 rather than being a lesser model in addition to the D100 as in Canon's 10D and D Rebel/300D situation.

<P>

If you are concerned about your current DSLR losing value, you shouldn't have bought one to begin with. I paid $2000 for my D100 a year and half ago. In the mean time, I have learned a lot about digital photography and the D100 has given me a lot of nice images. In another year or two, something better and cheaper will replace the D70 and the cycle starts over again.

"If you are concerned about your current DSLR losing value, you shouldn't have

bought one to begin with."

You can say that again! The worst thing to do is buy ANY new technology, and then

keep an eye on the market to see what else comes out. Sooner or later, you item will

be surpassed by a newer model. You buy when you need it, and don't look back.

I'm already planning on one. Gonna save up half and put the other half on a no intrest credit card. As soon as I saw it up on the site I ran to my camera store and told them that as soon as it's in to call me and I'll come buy it that day.

For those who thought they would take something away....

Why? Why would they? They can make it cheaper and more effective, I guarantee that the profit margin on the D70 is alot better than the profit margin on the D100. They don't want you to buy a D100, they want you to buy a D70. Why have you buy a $1500 camera that they make for, say, 1200, when they can have you buy a $1000 camera that they make for $500? No saying those are the official numbers, but I sell cameras, and I'd be willing to be that's pretty close.

Ironic that I want a D70, I work at Best Buy and if I wanted I could buy a Digital Rebel tomorow, but I hated the fact that it was a stripped 10D.

Atleast Nikon has the brains to do this right, they are gonna kill D Rebel sales.

While the D70 has a nice feature set, I'm going to pass on this one as my first DSLR.

For me, a key component is the AF module. I would like my first DSLR tyo be able to "keep up" with my F5, meaning an AF module that is at least a Multi-CAM1300 or faster. Right now that means the D2H or D1 series.

I am hoping against hope that the D200(?) will incorporate the Multi-CAM1300 (or faster) module, and that it will come out THIS year. If not, I will likely purchase a new D2h -- if I can find one -- (or consider a D2x(?), assuming one is released this year).

KL

I might be in the minority, but I would prefer a (sub $1500)DSLR with a real viewfinder, similiar to the one in the D2H. In fact, to cut costs I would forgo the LCD screen for a better optical viewfinder. None of my film cameras have LCD screens, so I am used to not having one. I could just fill up my disk, download the images to the comupter and delete what I don't want. anyway, its just a cost saver - although I don't know how much the LCD screens add to the overall pricetag.

Well now, Nikon Worldwide, Japan, English, has a press release that says the D70 has a "penta-Dach-mirror," whereas the four page brochure available at the same site specifies an "Optical fixed pentaprism."

So what it this? A typical Nikon glitches in translation? Failure to proofread? Disinformation to fake out Canon? A little white lie? Maybe Nikon doesn�t know because it�s subcontracted? Classic cut and paste error? Good new, it�s better than the press release?

I guess the focus screen is fix so we can�t ask Jonathan to stick his finger up inside and see if it�s glass or air.

I wish Nikon had enough pride to check their facts. Nikon reports that the FM3a has a finder magnification of 0.8x and 0.83x depending on whether you believe the brochures or the manual. They report the AF 28/2.8D as having and not having CRC, etc. It gets sad when they can�t even match pictures of their lenses correctly in their full line catalogs.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Nikon should supply accurate information so one can make an informed decision?

Nikon should certainly supply accurate information. Unfortunately, they are merely run by mortal humans, and just like the rest of us, they make some occasional mistakes. If you catch those mistakes, by all means ask Nikon for clarification and correction. The advantage of the web is that unlike paper brochures, it is easy to correct and update any information. IMO there is no need to drag out all sorts of prior mistakes Nikon has made and keep complaining.

<em>"Nikon should certainly supply accurate information.

Unfortunately, they are merely run by mortal humans, and just

like the rest of us, they make some occasional mistakes." --Shun

Cheung<br>

</em><br>

Shun they do this so often on important issues. They repeat

errors from Full Line Product Guide to guide. If they had pride,

if the had dignity, if they had proper management they would hire

proper proofreaders. If an average Joe (or Dave) cant

proofread worth a damn, that's one thing. This is a major

corporation that doesnt seem to care.<br>

<br>

I can understand errors in brochures from Nikon in the 60s,

translation and all, but to repeat the same error three years

running is ridicules.<br>

<br>

"IMO there is no need to drag out all sorts of prior

mistakes Nikon has made and keep complaining." --Shun Cheung<br>

<br>

I feel there is, it demonstrates a pattern of neglect.

Shun, in one of the full line product guides they show the circled numbers in a table listing all their lenses that referred to a list of exceptions but they left that list of exceptions out. It looks very much like someone did a cut & paste job. Added a few new lenses and forgot to include the table. Then the guide went to press with out the apparent benefit of a competent proofreader.