new year in chicago

k._rivkin

They're observation decks may be closed for the holidays or because it's late. Try to find a vantage point where the city lights will be in your view:

Navy Pier (might be too bright)

Lakeside near the Shedd Aquarium. It's a public place, so tripods would be OK.

Go early and dress warmly, as your mama used to say.

Enjoy

Thank you for the asnwer, but here is my problem:

a. While photographing from Schedd it's really a guessing game, because they can move fireworks to the end of Navy pier, and then you need a fisheye to get any of the building, and it's going to be ugly.

b. From Buckingham fountain - then you just get yachts (not this time ?) and fireworks - sure shot, but I've already done it.

c. From Chicago river bank - one of the most promising but also the most risky site. If you lucky and they place their firing stuff opposite the river you have very nich urban scene with fireworks on the background.

Did not try it so I can go for this one.

d. And yes, they do have a special night on Hancock, and may be Sears, but here is the problem - no tripods means I have to put on a platform in front of window, which mean guarding a spot in the precise direction of fireworks (which I don't know, and do it with my 3 firing cameras).

So that's the question and since I did not see any shots made from Hancock during fireworks, I would go for it. I'll try to call them and see what they have to say.