Yosemite In March

phil_goble

I have read in the archives that April is a good time to visit

Yosemite for a variety of reasons. I am looking at a potential visit

around March 12 because that is when my family can travel. What will

conditions in the valley be like at that time? Is the water flowing,

are any flowers blooming (it would seem early to me), any snow still

present? I imagine conditions are variable and a storm could

dramatically change things. It is worth a visit?

I camped in the valley a number of years ago at about that time in March. It was definitely below freezing at night but there was no real snow in the valley except some patches. Days were comfortable but chilly (for a guy from Los Angeles) I don't believe there were any flowers, it was still "winter." But not spectacular, wonderful, showy, snowy winter. There was water in the river and if I recall correctly Yosemite and Bridalveil Falls were flowing as well. Not much in Bridalveil (if any) and just some in Yosemite, more in the afternoon. There was an ice cone at the base of Yosemite Falls as the ice would freeze up at night and fall off the cliffs in the day time, etc. Cross country skiing out of Badger Pass was excellent. There was snow in the high country and all around the top of the valley, cliff tops, outcroppings, etc. If it's your only chance to get there, I'd go. I don't know how recent management changes have affected the valley for that time of year as to services, accomodations or camping, etc. This year seems to be light on precipitation but march is still a ways away and conditions can always vary.

I would advise you to get on the Yosemite web and sign up for their e-mail news letter. (Especially with access changes starting this year.) They list scheduled activities, camping conditions, road conditions, weather, flower activity, bear activity, numbers to contact for information and just about all you need to know to plan a trip.

Forgot to add, there is a resident photographer who has various photo activies during the year and sometimes posts photo tips on the Yosemite newsletter. Also, the valley is a great place to bring a bicycle. Flat, leisurely, stop-at will travel. In fact, some of the roads formerly open to cars may only be open to shuttles and bicycles. (I don't know if that will be in effect this year, or if it is one of the plans to reduce traffic and congestion.)

Phil:

Newly imposed regulations severely limit personal vehicle activity in Valley, thank God! There is plenty to do, weather however is highly questionable. The wettest, ie snow season in Central Sierra's, season is January and February. Early March could mean great weather or storms. Call weather bureau or check online weather reports before coming, plan for chilly evenings, high teens-low 20's. If weather is clear, thus far it appears to be a rather dry winter, the photo ops will be superb. Steep Valley walls with El Cap looming on West side creates wonderful shadow images during Winter and Spring when Sun is low. Yosemite, Bridalveil and Nevada Falls will all be flowing by March, though nothing like that encountered in May. Most trails are easily passable on foot. If snows are heavy, snow shoes are available for rent in Curry Village. If snow is on Valley floor, cross country skiing is superb out and around Mirror Lake. Bear activity will be non-existant, something foreign to Summer visitors. Bring lots of film, dress in layers, be prepared for ANY weather and have a great time.

Also, It is not too early to check into reservations. Although March is not like summer, some campgrounds are not open all year round and my understanding is that some of the current campgrounds might be closed as part of the decongestion solution.