a roll call at some point??

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello from Granbury Texas (about 70 miles SW of Dallas). I only have my little Olympus XA and a brand new Bessa R2, but I love this forum and read it everyday. I would like to one day own an M6 but that will have to wait until I have the money!

Its quite funny when I read through the list those from the USA never state the country they are from while everyone else does. As another poster has stated I am from Portland too but NOT the USA, im in Australia. The rest of the world doesnt study American geography as you yourselves do. The abrieviations given are pretty much usless to anyone outside the USA. WA means Western Australia to me but aparently its a state there too, dont know which one though. Here in Australia, we have our own New England, our own Toronto and Newcastle too (coppied from the original English one) and Norfolk is an Island off the coast of Eastern Australia. So please since the rolecall is meant as an International thing can we know the specifics. It does come across a bit as a USA only club when you do, thanks!

So what do we have (and forgive my impermanence as a long-time lurker and relative

new comer post wise) is lots of United Statesmen the odd United Stateswomen an few

Canadians mostly Ontario, apologies to Alberta, (after PEI my favourite province) and

Alaskans, with the whole Pacific represented by Hawaii, the odd sprinkling of

European nationalities with a few English (who haven�t yet worked out they are

actually part of Europe) a hodgepodge of South East Asians including Australasian

(please don�t tell our PM we are part of Asia), no Africans and virtually no North

Asians. (plenty of interest in Leica stuff in Japan and Korea) Oh, and absolutely

nobody from the Antarctica. (there must be a Leica or two in Antarctica)

The conclusion of this survey is that this is a very US centric forum. Nonetheless this

is a great Leica forum with a renown that pervades the internet far and wide, it may

indeed be the end of the internet, where there is little need to go beyond.

Please folk understand that I�m not bashing North Americans by any means. Not the

fault of those in the USA who keep such an important forum as this alive and vital,

but the question is, I suppose, how do we include a wider audience and thus a greater

degree of participation across nationalities and language groups? ie German, Italian

and Japanese Leicafiles, in particular, have a great knowledge of Leica equipment and

history that us anglo speakers tend to miss out on.

Given we are communicating in various forms of English where are the Kiwis, South

Africans, or any other ex Brit colonial Africans, South Sea Islanders, West Indians,

those on the sub continent, Scots, Irish, Welsh, and not to mention South Americans

(well Ghana at least, they play cricket after all), I may have missed a Brazilian, sorry)

Someone else on that continent with some English and a Leica must also have a

computer hitched up to the internet.

Just an observation, and perspective with no realistic answer, but something worth

pondering, IMHO.

Warm regards to all who contribute here, the world is a better place because of what

has happened and continues to happen here.

Craig (Australia)