diana

NASA Space Station On-Orbit Status 1 Feb 2004<P>

"After a visual inspection of the three GCF-02 crystallization units

inside the powered-down CGBA, the crew took shots of them with the

Nikon D1 digital camera for subsequent downlink to MCC-M/TsUP via OCA,

preparatory to subsequent power-up of the CGBA by Mike Foale, to keep

it at 20 degC."<P>

<a

href="http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=11741">http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=11741</a><P>

<a

href="http://leovilletownsquare.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=453489">Nikon

fanatics at Leoville</a><P>

To say NASA uses a Nikon D1 is like saying that stock car drivers race "stock cars." It would be interesting to know how many of the parts on NASA's DSLRs would be found on an Earthbound D1.

In any event, yes, NASA has been using Nikons since the Nikon FTn back in the 1960s. Hasselblad also shares this honor.<div>007HQo-16466884.jpg.e1f3d6626950497c8ac271a6b98603cc.jpg</div>

To answer the question about the CGBA and the MCC-M/TsUP:

The CGBA is described by its manufacturer as, "Isothermal Containment Module version 3 (ICM v.3) is used to house a variety of experiment hardware inserts. Temperature can be controlled between 4°C and 37°C for each of the 8 experiment insert volumes individually with variable profiles throughout the mission. Computer control enables experiments to be conducted autonomously. Command and telemetry capabilities also allow real-time ground-based data monitoring and remote operation." It is manufactured by BioServe Space Technologies. I think the MCC-M/TsUP is some sort of communications link between spacecraft and ground control, but I couldn't find anything useful out about it. Hope this helps.

MCC-M is Mission Control, Moscow. TsUP is an acronym in Russian for the same thing. The OCA is the Orbiter Communications Adapter, more-or-less a laptop PC (an IBM Thinkpad, as I recall) with specialized hardware designed for voice and video communications with the ground.

-Kurt

While we are taking about Space Hardware Aronyms (SHA), CBGA stands for Commercial Generic Processing Apparatus. It is a box about 12"Hx24"x24" which is kept at a constant temperature (thus the term isothemal) and is used for life science research in microgravity environment (mainly on MIR, Shuttle and Space Station). When I was getting my Masters in Aerospace Engineering I was involved in some of its thermal control design. Bioserve is associated with University of Colorado Boulder.

Area around Boulder offers some spectacular photo opportunities, if one is interested in landscape, wintersport or mountaineering photography. Normen Koren (www.normankoren.com also lives in Boulder.

Inside the ISS the environmental conditions are (apart from gravity, or lack thereof) the same as in your office. The D1 is certainly a standard one, with no modification. I flew my F5 in zero-G, during an ESA parabolic flight campaign last year in Bordeaux (France): it operated perfectly both at 0 g and in 1.8 g (during the pull-up phase).

<p>If you don't know what a parabolic flight is, look <a href=http://www.novespace.com/VEnglish/Microgravity_a/microgravity.htm>here</a>.<div>007ISt-16491184.JPG.40830f376c23856a0246f752507224d3.JPG</div>

NASA modified a Nikon F4 and flew this prototype way before digital SLRs were developed for commercial use. I think that a complete technical description of the camera electronics, including all the schematics, is in the public domain.<div>007Ipi-16500884.jpg.378c85218843e1e82697abbe5355a41d.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...