It is my vision, ladies and gentleman. Please!

ellis_jordan

I keep a print (unmounted/unmatted) on the work table all the time. When people come over, they uauslly walk over to the table and say something about the print, and I say that I'm trying to figure out where to crop it. Then the fun begins. They grab some mat board scraps that I just happen to have nearby, and they start to crop, this way and that. Usually ending with "there, that looks better." or "how about this". I seem interested and thank them for helping out. Every now and then someone will say that it looks just fine like it is. And it does!

Wieslaw, yes, the saying is indeed common, at least in western Finland. Sorry that I automatically assumed you were American. I don't necessarily think it's bad that you get critique from people with highly varying skill levels at the PAPC - you know the idea: if a thousand apes were given typewriters, one of them will eventually write Shakespeare's entire production? Similarly, there might be some point in what novices say. Another situation is where the photo-novice has significant previous experience with something visual, eg. sculpture or woodworking, and posesses a developed visual sense while not being experienced in photography.

Being a realist, I will agree that these scenarios are not the most likely to happen, but there might be interesting points raised at the meetings and usually there's someone who knows something about photography at the camera club. Frankly, I'm a bit wary about suggestions to crop, since few images, which already represent the artist's vision in the form of a final print, can be improved by cropping. In my experience, the photo is either good as it is or then it must be re-shot. Your crop, btw, is just the way I think is best - the center composition is used for effect and the curved horizon helps to put the focus in the middle.

One thing I came to think about is that is there cultural differences in terms of critique? Is it more common in some countries to offer "helpful advice" than in other?

I suggest that the title of your print should be: Twin Towers in the Yavorova Valley. Looks like the entire forest surrounding this area was destroyed by a storm, only the two trees, symbols of �good� forces, survived. Any idea how did it happened? The picture is superb!

The cropped version is interesting, but the panorama more so.