Glut of M6 & M6TTL Out There

dan_brown4

Well, I have two M6TTL bodies. I'll wait and probably sell one to get myself either a M7 or the MP, whichever comes more favorably when I'm buying. Right now, I'll stick to my guns and film and lenses and the nice lighting we're getting on account of all the snow on the ground out there.

Nice thing: if I want to take a walk with my Leica, all I need to do is take out the batteries after metering through my window. I like it!

I know $1300 was a little high. It seemed like the 0.58's were getting a bit of a

premium, I could be wrong about that. Anyway, there is a point, probably around

$1150-$1200 below which I'll just hang onto the camera and add a second body.

If I wanted a new M6, and a USA warranty, that bunch oof TTL's for $1600 on ebay

look very appealing indeed.

I have often noticed that used Leica availability seems to fluctuate. Several UK dealers seem to have cleared quite a few M2s, M3s and M6s recently. <p> Maybe they aren't selling well <I>on ebay</I>.<p>

<i>"post the new stuff up Beau! I'm a big fan of your stuff"</i><p>

I have just had a look at your folder and definately agree,

lets see some of the fruits from this TriX mountain.

Surprise, surprise, I'll disagree with Jay. Every year for the last 25 the retailer I work for has had there annual (hence the every year) Dutch Aution sale of used equipment in early February. The ads go in the local newspapers this weekend. It traditionally is the time of year when we have the largest glut of used gear. People who received new gear for Xmas, people who have Xmas bills to pay, pros who are dealing with the traditionally slowest months of the year and are housecleaning...all leave us with a glut of used that move at bargain basement prices because all of the above reasons apply in reverse and few are out spending money on gear right now...they're paying off their Visa/MC/AMEX bills. But of course Jay has his own take on everything.

Well, for what it's worth, I think film will be around just as books made out of paper are still around -- the name of the psychic game is "TACTILITY" -- you need it, I need it, we all need it. To put my money where my mouth is, I just bought a gorgeous M4 for $1,200. There's nothing more tactile than that delicious Leica!

<<is "proliferous" really a word??>>

If not it should be.

<<few are out spending money on gear right now>>

I don't know about things up in Moosejaw but here in the first world all the camera dealers I've spoken to say the wind kicked up by digital cameras flying off their shelves is the only thing keeping the dust off the film cameras.

Th 'mericans is panickin. Is this th' end of days. I personally have always carried around my Leica even at great personal inconvenience just to catch the end of the world, or a volcano, or a mugging as I answer my front door.

Is this depressing banter going to result in panic selling? If it is, those of us who keep our heads should clean up good. The sky is falling YAY.

<i>A seller just canceled his auction at the last minute for a "pristine" m6TTL (0.72 chrome) with matching current 50 Summicron

because the auction only got to $1630</i>

<p>

These things fluctuate from day to day. Often people aren't in the market for a camera w/lens. In addition to which, the bid can go up a huge amount in the last minute.... As for your camera, I'm not so sure .58 finders command a premium. There aren't that many of them out there but they're not that popular either.<p>

M6 prices are about normal, maybe on the low end of the cycle that fluctuates about $100 within the year. You could get a mint M6 classic for about $1000 around a year ago, then they went up a bit. Now they're down a tad, if any. They'll go back up to where they were before, which is not much above what they are now.

<i>I don't know about things up in Moosejaw but here in the first world all the camera dealers I've spoken to say the wind kicked up

by digital cameras flying off their shelves is the only thing keeping the dust off the film cameras.</i><p>

That's funny, since ebay covers transactions between Canada and south Florida last time I checked.

"Glut" or not, there is plenty of demand for M6TTL's which for many Leicistas is the perfect shooter. It's just a question of supply versus demand and the right market price.

I just acquired a second M body in December and went through this exercise. Independent of the price question, which was not really an issue for me, I decided I didn't like the MP (ergonomics) and didn't like the M7 (I liked the accurate, silent electronic shutter but hated the blinky, fussy lights cluttering the finder, and especially the mandatory DX film coding). I found a brand new M6TTL 0.85 with Passport warranty for $1460, but finally bought an LHSA black paint M6TTL in good shape for $1700 (I know that after the finder upgrade I'll have $2000 in it, for which I could have had an MP in similar condition, but I don't care, I bought it to shoot with and not to fondle). I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers the M6TTL even irrespective of price.

My market research at the time showed that a really mint TTL should cost about $1200; if it shows any signs of use then $1000 to $1100. But this is logical -- add $300 for the finder upgrade, and you are at $1500, which is pretty close to the price of a good used M7. If you get the price right, you should have no trouble selling your M6, but you will find it hard to beat the market. Likewise, if you are buying, it is unlikely you will pay less. Econ 101.