Need help on MPP Micro Tech MK VII

jason_chiu

I acquired a nice condition MPP Micro Technical Mark VII 4X5 camera.

This is my first 4X5 camera. I am totally new to large format

photography and am not sure how to operate this camera. Reading the

MPP user club web site, I figured out how to swing, to shift and to

operate the back. However, with the camera open, the front standard

does not appear to be on the focus rail (?). When I turn the focus

knobs on the bed, the focus rail would extend, but the bellow barely

moves. How do I put the front onto the rail?

Dear Jason,

The front standard has a little clamp at the base which locks it to the rails. Undo the clamp -- I forget if it's twist or pinch on a Mk. VII, but I think pinch -- and pull the front standard out onto the focus rail. There will be at least one pair of engraved dots or slots that the front standard will click into.

If this doesn't make things clearer, e-mail me.

Cheers,

Roger

As Roger says you pinch the two front standard clamps together and pull it forward along the rails. The clamps are either side of the base of the front standard.

Between the clamps there is a spring type thing which sticks out of the middle of the front standard. If you push down on this you will release the front standard to allow front swing. Front rise and shift are via the knobs on the right of the front standard and there is a front rise lock on the rhs of the front standard at the top.

The bed when opened locks first into the flat open position. To close it first ensure that the front standard is pushed fully on to its wide-angle track inside the body and that the focusing rail is fully wound back into the body. Failure to do so can result in the wide angle track links getting broken. Then push with your thumbs on both struts and fold the bed to the closed position.

The bed has a dropped position for use with wide angle lenses. With the bed in the normal open position again push with your thumbs on both struts then move the base downwards until it clicks into position.

The MPP is a tough and versatile beast. I have used one now for some years. I suggest you join the MPP Users Club for their excellent magazine and access to spares etc. Good luck and any more questions feel free to ask!

Colin

Jason, Well done! I think the click stops will be for the infinity focus of the lenses that were originally sold with the camera. You may find distance scales for them fixed on the bed alongside the rails. Mine does two stops at 90mm and 150mm and I have the original Symmar 150/5.6 lens and rf cam to go with it. The swing release is stiff on mine too. I would not worry about that as stiff is preferable to loose.