W, NW Mother, Daughter

paulstenquist

Andrew, huh? Your post must be missing a sentence or something.

David, Monty who? Monty Python?

Access is totally up to the bride. Many want the whole day documented, and they

mean everything. Others are more shy. We talk about it before hand. A lot of young

women want shots of themselves at their best, knowing full well time will take it's toll.

I retain the right to use any image for non profit, self promotional or educational

purposes. I just can't sell an image like this to a woman's underwear company without

a signed release.

IMO, shots like this are just part of the day. A moment when the mom really realizes

her little girl is a woman. The touch of the mom is what made it so special to the

bride.

Marc - Not quite sure I understand your point, but it seems to be some kind of put-

down. I thought the above were stunningly good portraits of a mother and her

daughter and, with some considerable trepidation, I ventured a first

picture here, albeit one taken with an extremely second-hand, dodgy Nikon FG-20

which tided me over between my previous gear getting stolen and buying a new

camera a week or so back. Evidently a mistake.

FWIW, which I doubt is of any consequence, I thought Paul's were excellent, although

very clean and formal compared to the normal business of bringing up small children

- in the second the bond between the two shines through and it is almost begging to

get rid of the somewhat formal clothes and the pearls (remnants of the age pre-

baby?) and return to day-to-day messy reality. Didier's is also excellent - the slightly

stiff head of the daughter and the folded arms of the mother show the, perhaps

inevitable, detachment that comes with time, a longing to be closer than can be

admitted by either. Yours are of a technical standard that I can only aspire to. The

lack of warmth, as opposed to posed affection, is palpable in the first one - baby as

ornament. Day-to-day messy reality as taken care of by the au pair?

Wentong's is simply wonderful.

Anyway, I gave it a try. I think I'll stick to life without internet forums (or should that

be fora) after all.

Andrew, no need to go off. I simply didn't understand your text. It referred to

something I just didn't grasp. I certainly was not referring to your image in any way.

As to your comment on my first image, rather than the coldness you perceived ("child

as ornament"), could the mother be exhibiting a constrained pride for her very first

baby? And there is a slight tiredness in her features (if you take a moment to look

beyond the surface) due to it being a recent and difficult birth. Some people are

subtile and restrained in their expressions and demeanor.. but I don't try to make

them into someone else for a photo... that would be layering in my own ideals.

Not all photos of children need be reality based nor candid. I do plenty of those also.

But sometimes people want to escape that reality and have a really nice formal

portrait taken of their family... which, as opposed to a snapshot, they are willing to

pay many hundreds of dollars for.

Thanks, Marc, and I meant Zucker. I liked each of your pics, and the profile shot seems to me to have a touch of elegance. The shot of the bride in the dressing room being touched by her mother perhaps blurs for you in a multitude of shots for the day, but of course, here, we only see the one. Hence, it stands out more, at least for me.