Changing the mount on a third party lens

dimitri_kalakanis3

I have a Nikon E series lens I am not using. Is it possible to buy a

3rd party lens (Tokina) with a non-nikon mount and make it work with

the mount of my E series lens? Or should I get an adapt-all mount? Or

take it to a repair shop (what is the cost?). Or forget it and keep

looking for Nikon mounts only.

Also, if something I can do, any web reference on How to?

Thank you in advance, dimitri

What does you workshop/optical bench, tool set look like? Can you make optical grade lens mounts, align them, ... ? Do you have a lathe?

If you have the equipment and experience, why would you ask? You could derive the mounting distance differences between the Contax and Nikon systems yourself (or look them up via google), you could shave off or add mount spacers for the new mount as needed ... It surely can be done, but might cost a mint in time and equipment ...

If you do not have the equipment and just want to play, maybe these lenses are a good training ground for you, but be prepared to lose both in the process.

Um, Dmitri, in general changing a modern SLR lens from one fixed mount (not Adaptall, Century, T, T-2, T-4, TX) to another isn't possible without major expense and, in almost every case, giving up diaphragm automation. It is sometimes possible to attach a lens in a fixed mount with long flange-to-film distance to a camera body with shorter flange-to-film distance. But since the C/Y f-to-f is 45.50 mm and Nikon F is 46.50, you don't have that option.

Best to give up the fantasy of using lenses in other fixed mounts on a Nikon body. Unless, that is, you have in mind to do macro work. I used to use a 135/2.8 Steinheil Auto-Macro-Tele-Quinar in Exakta mount (44.70 mm f-to-f) on a Nikkormat with the help of a stack of Novoflex adapters. Far focusing distance was about a meter, but for macro work it was just fine.

Cheers,

Dan

As others have pointed put, if the lens is indeed a Contax/Yashica mount lens, changing it to a Nikon mount for all practical purposes is impossible.

If, however, your lens happens to be a T-mount lens, a Tamron adaptall lens, or a lens with any other interchangable mount that just happens to currently have a Contax/Yashica adapter sitting at the back of it, you could just take off the current adapter and replace it with a Nikon adapter.

We need some more info about your lens. You mention Tokina. As far as I know Tokina never made any lenses with interchangeable mounts. If it is a Tokina, do what Stephen suggested.