Vegas Area Scenic Hotspots

nathan_cohen

Am looking for good suggestions by PN'ers for photospots within about

100 miles of Las Vegas. Looking sometime in March. Please: keep me

away from the Lost Wages tackiness by having another place(s) for me

to venture during my meeting off-times:-) Grand Canyon much too far

BTW.

Many thanks:-)

Probably the most popular area is Hoover Dam & Lake Mead, as I recall, about 1 hour outside of "The Strip". A few years ago, we rented a pontoon boat on the lake and got some awesome views and had a great time. You also can tour the dam itself (unless post 9/11 security has stopped that). Also, a number of years ago, I played golf on the Paiute Indian Reservation, which was about 45 minutes outside of town. The vistas in that area with the mountain backdrop were gorgeous.

I know you said Grand Canyon is too far, but you might want to consider flying over it. There are plenty of organized tours from town, where they bus you out to Boulder City and then pick up the small (6 passenger) planes. Photo opportunities are tough, but the views burned into your memories are worth it. Only precaution is don't go when its windy or after 1 PM. Even though it may not be hot in March, the thermal inversion in late afternoon can cause a turbulent ride on which you and the barf bag will be best friends, thus spoiling those brilliant views.

Have a great trip.

Rich B

I think everybody has hit the closest spots. Red Rock Canyon is only 20 minutes from

the strip, and definitely worth a sunset. Valley of Fire is only an hour or so away, so

that's definitely in range. If you're willing to extend your range a bit, Zion National

Park is 150 miles away and about a two hour drive.

Nathan - are you just looking for scenics, or for wildlife/birding opportunities as well?? If it's just the former, then others have already provided a good start. If it's the latter, I may have other locales for you.

KL

Although many folks don't agree, Hoover Dam has some interesting mixes of 1930s architecture (and some recent additions emulating the 30s feel) and rugged terrain. And I actually saw, at least I think, one of the desert sheep on one of the cliffs right off the road but traffic as it is, couldn't get turned around in time to get back to a decent parking spot to really check it out. The Virgin River Gorge just at the corner of Arizona/Nevada/Utah on I-15 is pretty spectacular and a radical change after the stretch of desert you cross on the way. It's not as far as Zion but really Zion should be considered if you can. The mining area of Oatman on old Route 66 near Kingman has some rocky mountain terrain and (not really) wild burros.

Zion is about a 2 to 3-hour drive from Las Vegas. Bryce is another 2 hours from Zion. Those are good choices but it may be cold in March. In particular, Bryce is at high elevation (8000 ft) and will be cold. Yosemite is just way out of range; especially in March, the Tioga Pass is closed because of snow and you need to go around the Califnornia Central Valley to enter.

The lighting on the cliff formations at Zion would be very favorable in March. You just would need a warm place to stay (and there are many). Frankly, I think it's still a bit far away from Vegas, give the poster's original query.

If you head toward Red Rock Canyon be on the lookout for the many feral burros that live there. They will come right out along the road and can be quite photogenic.

As for Hoover Dam, yes, architecturally and in terms of the water development history of the arid west it's a "can't miss." What's weird is that the Bureau of Reclamation has put millions of dollars in recent years into developing the dam as a tourist attraction. This because they need to spend their power revenues on "improvements" or else they will lose them. So they've diverted their cash inflow toward creation of a neo-Disneyland environment at the dam, all aimed at luring tourists to visit the souvenir shops and go on the on-site tours. But what I noticed in my visit last August was that really, 90% of the visitors don't care a whit about power generators and historical shots of cement-pouring. Most of the tourists looked baffled and bored, i.e., "What are we doing here?" And still they come. . .

For wildlife, especially birding (you can Google these sites for more details)...

<p><p>

<ul>

<li>Overton Wildlife Refuge

<li>Desert Nat'l Wildlife Range

<li>Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

<li>Tecopa Marsh

<li>Moapa Valley National Wildlife Refuge

<li>Pahranagat Valley

<li>Valle of Fire State Park

</ul>

<p><p>

Good luck!!!

BTW, for scenics of a different kind, there are many GHOST TOWNS within 100-150 miles of Vegas.

Don't know if that fits into your kind of photography, but ghost towns, IMO, always make for interesting photos (tip: use APX 100).

KL

Again, I am most grateful for the location expertise of the seasoned PN'ers who have graciously made there suggestions.

I have never given Zion its due but I can see it's an option I will seriously consider. Bryce is great--but I've done it:-); next trip there will be a hiking trip with my son someday:-) Zion didn't work for me last year--spent 3 hours in the park and then bailed to Bryce--where I was able to get in-park lodging.

BTW I did fly the GC many years ago, and I think that's a great suggestion--save for the fact that I then discovered I get airsick in small planes:-)!

Now: if we consider Zion, let me open it up for the Grand Canyon. Is it that much farther(travel-wise) than Zion from Vegas? Are we talking South Rim or North Rim?

If YOU had to make a trip to Vegas, AND could tack on a full weekend (let's drop the 100 miles), would YOU to to GC? Zion? What about (again) Vermilion? Thanks again for your time friends!

KL,

Thanks for being especially helpful. Frankly I am a sucker for a scenic:-)

I spent a lot of time in NM several years ago and ghost towns depress me for some reason. Kind of reminds me of our own ephemeral nature. My problem; I know others get a kick out of them and I'm glad they do:-)

Well, if you're considering a full weekend, then it would definitely be Zion or Death Valley. I'd lean towards Zion, and perhaps hit the Kolob Canyon area which I haven't visited yet. Grand Canyon is 5 hours away, so I really wouldn't consider it for a weekend - maybe for an extended weekend.

I've done Zion in January, and it was pretty damn cold. One nice thing is that I didn't have to take the trams - I could drive everywhere. Death Valley is certainly an option - probably a bit too early for wildflowers. I don't remember how long it took me to do the drive, but I think it was about 2-3 hours. I think I'd only do Death Valley if I was staying overnight in the park.

If you can take the whole weekend, you could hit the South Rim of the GC. North Rim will be snow closed. But you would need to drive all the way down to Kingman and east via Williams. It isn't close. You would almost certainly need to prepare for cold weather and snow. Storms can and do come in and close the area roads on the higher parts of the plateau. I'd recommend Zion over Death Valley but that's just a personal preference. It would be an easier weekend than the GC. Vermillion Cliffs would be well past Zion, so probably not a great idea.

I'll offer a little more detail with a few local suggestions.

Try a drive to Boulder City and stop at Hemenway Park (Ville Rd, N of US 93) to see if Desert Bighorn sheep are enjoying the irrigated grass. Then you can see the Dam if you like, or enter Lake Mead National Recreation Area and drive up the road by the lake. More sheep may be near the railroad tunnel trail to the dam if you have time for a several-mile hike. (Note the lake shorelines are less scenic than in the past since a white 'bathtub ring' is visible due the shortfall in winter snowmelt for several years). Drive around the north shore of the lake and you can stop for several hikes in large washes that drain south to the lake, at Pinto Basin or Bowl of Fire, at Redstone picnic area and on north to Lost City and Valley of Fire State Park. Ask rangers about hikes in the washes in LMNRA, they are secluded and scenic.

Valley of Fire has several very nice campgrounds near Atlatl Rock (named for petroglyph accessed by stairs). Go to north end of Valley of Fire for nice hikes near Silica Domes and Calico area. The Mouses' Tank trail has an abundance of petroglyphs once you start to look up above the trail.

If you have 4WD/High clearance, Keyhole Canyon has petroglyphs and ravens up a very bumpy road off the "Searchlight highway" S of Boulder City.

Death Valley, by way of Pahrump (SR 160) and Death Valley Junction is > 100 miles west, but worth a visit if you buy into the drive -about 2-1/2 hrs from Las Vegas. Check for lodging inside park, at Death Valley Junction area or a few miles N, or in Beatty about 50 miles further N. Ash Meadows is on the way to DV Junction.

Red Rocks is well worth a visit in town but I would also offer driving up US 95 to Lee Canyon and over the saddle to Kyle Canyon and back down to US 95 and a return to Las Vegas for a short day trip. Stop and hike where you can, check out conditions (ask about Mary Jane Falls). Upper Kyle Canyon has nice hikes and mountain views. Corn Creek SP is N of US 95 out this way too, it is a gateway to 4WD/high clearance access to Desert NWR to the N and NW of Las Vegas.

Snow Canyon SP in Utah near St George, less far than Zion, may just fit a 2-hour limit for another alternative.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting to know this area since the folks bought a house in Vegas. Here's what I think.

Yes, Valley of Fire and Red Rocks are accessible year round by car. Valley of Fire is a good spot with both interesting rock formations, abundant colors (red, yellow, magenta), and subjects near the roads. Skip the southern part of the park and explore spots along the spur that goes to White Domes. In March and April, there may be some blooms of flowers. For sunset, get there way early. There is a high ridge to the West that cuts off the sun at least 30~45 minutes before the offical, published time of sunset.

As far as Red Rocks, IMO this area requires exploration before it yields great photographs. But, don't let this discourage you, the hiking is good. Try the southern trailheads into Oak Creek (not in the BLM loop) and you will go from desert to manzanita to ponderosa pine in a matter of 3-4 miles. Very cool transition. If the weather is stormy, or if it is overcast, get your butt to Red Rocks for the sunrise, it can be breathtaking. In general, I prefer Red Rocks at sunrise.

Without a doubt, both areas should be visited during the good light if the weather is sunny.

Hope this helps.