M6TTL top plate on a regular M6?

jean_.

A question for the folks here familiar with the tech details..

..is it possible to mount a M6TTL top plate on a M6 non-ttl body? In

understand from my reading that the M6TTL is a bit higher than the

regular M6, so I guess that a regular M6 top will not fit on a ttl

model, but the other way it could work?

Anybody here knows? Jay, you had a look at disassembled M6, if I

remember well?

Jean, The simple answer is no. The shutted speed dail positions on the M6 & M6TTL are in slightly different locations. This alone would not let the camera operate normally. Now, it is certainly possible to pay a technician a enormous amount of money to do the conversion, but what would you gain by it? Happy Snaps & Holidays, Sal

The shutter dial isn't a problem, it would be just a matter of enlarging the hole. However there is a male-thread retaining ring under the film advance that secures the right side of the top plate to the chassis, and the ring would not reach from the M6TTL top plate to the female threads on the Classic. Likewise the taller top plate would prevent the film-advance lever from being reattached.

Thanks for your replies! I have the possibility to buy a TTL top plate, and considered to replace the dented and scratched plate of my m6.. the fact that besides being pristine it's also a black paint plate made this very appealing to me ;-)

Luckily i did not buy, since now I know that it would have been of no use to me.