Shooting beautiful women and being married .....

brian_keller

getting approval shouldn't affect your artistic concentration, but working with a third person in the room certainly imposes a clinical air on the creative process, if the third person has a personal relationship with either the subject or the photographer. A working assistant is a fine idea, but not as a "safety"... they should bring a skillset to the process, not a cold wet blanket. Stylists, makeup, wardrobe, fine. Chaperone or watchdog... no way.<p> I also agree with Mike, if I don't trust someone, I don't want them in my studio, at all, naked or otherwise. The interview process is absolutely imperative for me. The understanding is reached <i>way</i> before the pants hit the floor... t<p>Oh yeah... The effect of maturity on this issue cannot be overstated. It took me years to realize it's more fun to just <i>think</i> about having sex with most women, than it is to actually do it. The photo session is the safest sex I can have, the physical barrier isn't crossed, no bodily fluids exchanged, and everyone feels fine the next morning. Besides, it's the psychology of the experience that I want to show in a photograph (no matter what the subject may be). And the reason I'm a photographer is to <i>make photographs</i> (what a concept!) not to get some "strange". <p>When I want to experience sexual excitement personally, there's one place I'm garanteed to find it, and my life is improved by that finding. I don't need to put my entire life in jeopardy, and traumatize my family for years to come, just to satisfy some ego driven curiosity, and I think my wife uinderstands that. Even so, I say it to her on a fairly regular basis, and that's an important thing to do, regardless of what happened in the studio today or what you want to happen there tomorrow... t<div>006UNE-15265784.jpg.12ecb3daf6801dd88042d52d8679c123.jpg</div>

Steve, being a newbie, that works too much, I thought maybe it was a recent photo.net'r. And thanks to the consideration of some, I've been informed one to one. Who know's, maybe questions with answers spark conversation here? Thanks for the help...

I told my wife before starting to shoot other women. (See Mike Dixon's comment). Like a few other things it is a vice if you do it in secret. Since I'm hopless at secrets and bound to get caught anyway, I figured I had to do it with her consent or not at all. She sees everything - the only stuff she objected to is in my Red Lilly II folder. <br>

Reading John's comment at the top of the thread, I think my wife and I must count as mature. She knows her looks weren't why I married her, and that I can isolate looks from other attributes. The other thing I'd pick up from John's comment is the models I have met are not different from the population as a whole. One could be outwitted by an Omlette, another could hold her own with Einstein About half of them would be worth spending social time with... and so on.<br>

I just asked my wife if the idea of a model hitting on me had crossed her mind and the response was "Not until now" :-) I have to admit it hadn't crossed mine; I thought that models might be at risk of unwelcome advances from photographers but not the other way around.<br>

Eric's comment about photographing male subjects is useful Except that male art models have proved be very difficult to find.<br>

<b>Conni</b>. If my wife found a suitable male model, I'd lend her the cameras and stay out of the way. Women are generally better than men at spotting things like make-up flaws, and I've said if a model wants to bring a female freind to keep an eye on me and her make up that's fine. My wife knows she can come and watch the shoots but I wouldn't ask her to help out with make up, nor would I offer to help oiling up her model - if asked for technical help I would. The only thing which would be a problem for me would be if she didn't feel able to to tell me what she was doing. <br>

My girlfriend would get jealous with me shooting other girls because when I first met her, I'd use her in alot of my photography. But after a year I was ready to shoot other models.

My point of view is that if your a photographer before you met them, they know what they are getting into. Its like complaining about your girlfirend smoking when she already smoked before you were dating.

It is definitely a problem. I tend to not want my wife within 10 miles of any creative project I'm working on (she's an artist, we clash), so she's usually fairly well convinced I'm sleeping with whoever I photograph (in my/her dreams). Yes, the temptation is there, but a lot of the pictures I take take advantage of that tension between me and the subject. If I were to act on the temptation, the tension would disapear.