New Nikon Scanners V & 5000 (9000 later)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

By the way I had a burglary at home this Monday and the fellow took away my LS2000 Scanner! (That's the only thing missing so far). I would not know what he'd do with it anyway without SCSI adapters and cables.

What IS the difference between Coolscan V and Coolscan 5000?

What does a poor man do when confronted with those two models?

Navendu

Hello Navendu,

Well the Coolscan V is really a dressed down version of the LS-5000. Output is 14 bits (LS-5000:16 bits) and it uses a single line CCD (LS-5000: 2 lines, almost twice as fast), Dmax is 4.2 (LS-5000: 4.8!)

And last but not least, the Coolscan V does NOT support the SF-210

slide feeder. After reading Nikon's press release about the Coolscan V (www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_release/2003/ls50ed.htm ) I sold my LS-20 via E-bay and ordered a Coolscan V & the SF-210 feeder just to get this kind of error message :'This scanner does not support the adapter that is currently inserted!'

Now I have the choice, sending back the SF-210 or sending back the Coolscan V and upgrade to a LS-5000 =$$$$!

Although I'm not too happy with this I have to tell that the Coolscan V is much better than the LS-20, one even starts to think about rescanning my 5000 slides :-)

<i>Well the Coolscan V is really a dressed down version of the LS-5000</i><p>

Somehow I doubt that. It has very little in common with the CS 5000 except perhaps the new lens and ICE4. On the other hand all its specs are nearly identical to the CS 4000. I think the CS V is basically the LS 4000 without batch scanning.