Ideas on improving

tcb.photo

My niece wants me to take a few photos of her for her year book,

some sort of a informal section. This was a quick test photo, but

I'd like any views on how to improve it, for the next time I shoot

it. It was taken with a F100 mounting a 135mm f/2. loaded with

Ilford HP5 using a yellow green filter. Spot metering on the eye.

Any constructive ideas are welcome. It just didn't turn out as I had

hoped it would<div>0069om-14736584.jpg.c349495acc7e4c0fe360e422cd7da56a.jpg</div>

Rob, I'd consider more DOF. Her eye is pin-sharp but for a yearbook photo, you might want the whole face to be sharp. In terms of composition, you might have her looking "out" of the frame instead of across the frame (or put another way, have the empty space to her right as she looks left.)

The little halo looks artificial and a little distracting. Is that a natural part of the background or was that added during printing (or in the scan)?

Lightening the dark side of this photo gives excesive grain and bad tonality. It is better to fill in the shadows when photographing. The easiest way to do this is with a reflection screen. Any white surface will do. The bigger the surface, and the closer it is to the subject the more fill light you get, and consequently less contrast between the two sides of the face. If you have a spotmeter you can meter the skin on both sides of the face. If you keep the difference at a ratio of 1 to 2 stops you are safe for a traditional look. For a high key look expose 1/2 to 1 stop lighter than the dark side of the face. For a low key look expose 1/2 to 1 stop lighter than the light side of the face.

I suppose the real question is, "what don't you like about it"?

Personally, If I was limited to a single light. I'd <br>

1)add a reflector on one side.<br>

2)bounce the light off of a large reflector (off a sheet, etc) to make the light source a little less directional<br>

3)I'd play with the lighting directions and/or posing angles to minimize highlighting skin texture.<p>

Also on metering: spot meter your middle grey tone. If you meter from your highlight you will be underexposed.

<p>

An idea I've been meaning to try for people who are awkward about posing. Model them after classic glamor poses from the 20's - 30's. Gives them something to try and you something to work towards in setup, etc. <p>

Good luck on your reshoot! :) <p>

Rob I actually like this photo and the moment you've captured (or set up) but Jim Vanson is right about the photo revealing skin blemishes. That lens is also probably too damned sharp besides. My two bits: this might be going against sort of the spontaneous nature of the shot you may or may not have had in mind, but a little makeup on your subject might help. From my experience at least I know for a fact that a good makeup artist can do absolute wonders and sometimes make all the difference between a photo that appears mediocre or merely good to one that appears outstanding.

your image is mighty austere for an informal section of a high school year book. Why not use real "window" light in a nice setting? I put "window" in quotes because it doesn't have to literally be a window. I suggest any structure that blocks light entirely from the top and reduces it from one side, but allows it strongest from the other side and on the background. This could be a gazebo in a park, under a tree, on a patio/porch, in a garage, gas station, covered walkway, etc. These settings would be "informal", especially to a high school student... t<div>006AIA-14749684.jpg.48aa4203c578ebc1ac8e9d2ee575fa9c.jpg</div>

Good point Tom. I took soome sigitally with her

horse" and such, but she wanted some B&W. I had some HP5 in my F100 with a YG filter. SO I took a few test photos. I tried experiment with them with different metering and so on. These are only done for test shots, but she wants something "different". What do you mean I said -"You know different".

What "Worries" me is her complexion. It isn't "bad", but she is a senior and has a little acme, I shot fast to try and soften it, but maybe I'll have to use a softing filter. I don't know.

Your point about the more tradional look is good, It's how I would rather do it. I wanted unposed to "try" and capture her own personality, if possible. I also took this one using a centerweighted metering with -1/3 EV. What do you think of it? The acme is still there . I'm not a portrait photographer, so any help is appreciated<div>006AIm-14749884.thumb.jpg.f299affecc461be6581309bc64f6a02c.jpg</div>

I think everyone has given good advice here.

Lose the glasses, get her to brush out her hair

and dab a bit of Dermablend on the spots.

Side light shows bumps and texture, so I would

definitely use a frontal light,

tunnel lighting is always nice.

Give her a picture she will be happy

to look back on....

This is actually a nice portrait-- it needs to be retouched

or printed soft contrast and dark and then bleached with a sepia tone.

I usually avoid filters etc.

Easier to think ahead and avoid post production problems.

Yeah, back up a little and use a longer lens. And try "short lighting", that is, light her face on the side that is away from the camera, so the light is <i>almost</i> pointing back at the camera, and use a fill card on her near side... t<p>p.s. try converting your digital images to b&w (and use a scrim/gobo to block the light off your camera)

Leanne gave most of the advice that I was thinking, so, rather than double up I'll just add that perhaps you could shoot from slightly above. This will place even more emphasis on your niece's eyes and diminish her nostrils and such. Ok, so I'll double up a bit. Definitely get her to brush out her hair! As it is it looks quite severe, and the light catches wisps that aren't pulled down, which just looks messy.

I also think that the best thing she can do for the shot is smile, but that's up to her, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...