Nikon Lens for N80

sam_smith7

Well, you should buy every available Nikkor lens, of course.

But we could narrow that down a little if you tell us what sorts of pictures you expect to take, and what sort of budget for lenses you consider reasonable.

There's also a good article here under the "Equipment" section, a tutorial on SLR systems.

Have fun...

What kind of pictures do you plan to take with your N80? If it's a zoom lens you want, I've like the Nikkor 28-105D. Another alternative is the current 24-85D, but you get more linear distortion with that one. The 28-105D is a good choice if you might ever use a manual Nikon camera, because it has an aperture ring. It's a very versatile lens that can go from macro to telephoto, without too many compromises.

A nice all around lens would be the 35mm f/2.0 AF-D.

It's light.

It's flare and ghost resistant with little distortion.

It focuses down to 9 inches.

It's fast so handheld available light shots are easier.

It's quick with AF.

It allows for matrix metering with fill flash.

It resolves better than most zooms (17-35 AFS is the exception).

Add a telephoto or tele-zoom and it might be all you'll ever need.

For more, read the review on this lens at photo.net.

Before I switched over to the F100's, I have had 3 N80/F80S's. If you are going to start out with only one lens within the price range you mentioned and want something below $400, my choice would be the excellent Tamron SP 24-135mm. Any of the aforementioned Nikkor zooms are also good, but this Tamron lens gives you more range on both ends with great quality. Be aware, too, that N80 handles the new Nikon VR lenses. These VRs sell for over $400 per piece now, but you may want to plan on them for the future (e.g., 70-200VR, which works well with TC's).

I may get hate mail for this, but I'd use the Sigma 28-105/f2.8-4. It's an underrated lens, it has the D chip, and it balances well on the N80 (especially with the battery grip. Sigma lenses are excellent value when compared to Nikkors.

The Nikkor 50/f1.8D is excellent, too. Always take it with you as either a backup or a standard lens.

Hi Sam,

If it's going to be a zoom, I'd pick the 28-105D, IMO a great all-round one lens setup with macro capabilities. But its short focussing throw would make manual focussing a real challenge. Add a 50/1.8D and you're ready for most picture situations.

Have fun shooting,

Al