jimmy_m.

I am interested in getting a used mamiya 7. I've heard from many

postings that this camera is not for close-ups because of the

focusing accuracy problem at close range. I've also heard it ain't

the camera for landscapes because of the framing issues. What IS

the perfect application for the Mamiya 7 system? I would assume

everything in between close-up photography and landscape photography

(street shooting). I'm also thinking about getting the 65mm lens

instead of the 50. Any comments would be appreciated.

You need to think about what kind of photography <i>you</i> are doing and if it fits that. It doesn't make much sense to buy a camera (especially one this expensive) and then see if there's anything to do with it.<p>

I know people who use it extensively for landscapes. I use it in the studio and on the street. Most of my site is done with the Mamiya 7, it will give you some idea.<p>

But if you don't know what you would shoot with it, save your money.

I had a Mamiya 7 for a while. My style of shooting is primarily landscapes which the

Mamiya 7 was ok at. The framing issue is a concern as well as the accurate use of ND

grads and polarizers to a somewhat lesser degree. Close focusing is almost non-

existent except for the use of the close focusing attachment with it's unwieldy

framing device. Seems like the camera would be a good choice for travel and street

photography. Really, it depends on your style of shooting and what type of images

you visualize.

I bought one earlier this year with the standard 80mm L lens. Like it very much so far. See some of my newer photos here for some examples. In my case I wanted a rangefinder style camera for easy travel. Once you accept all the drawbacks with a rangefinder, you can go ahead and shop them. I really wanted a Plaubel 67 with the Nikkor 80mm 2.8 lens. But they are too hard to find and are very expensive (most still want $1000 for them). So for $1200 I went for the Mamiya 7 which is a better value IMO. I considered a Leica (new and used) but It's also a very expen$ive over hyped 35mm RF. Also, I prefer MF to 35mm since the negs give you much more detail and room to crop. The Fuji 6x7 is a low cost alternative (aka "Texas Leica") but it only has one normal lens. You sound like you want a wider lens than a nornal one so older 6x7 folders are probably out (except for the 55mm Plaubel 67, but same probs as the 80mm one ;-).

I agree with Jeff. You need to consider the photography you want

to do and see if the Mamiya fits, not the other way round.

For me, primarily using a 6x6 SLR, there were a number of

things I couldn't easily do. I couldn't operate without a tripod

whilst using the films I prefer; I couldn't get the weight and bulk

down enough to make walking enjoyable; I couldn't make my

photography inconspicuous; I could only make a rectangular

image by cropping to 645; my attempts to carve a panoramic out

of a 6x6 shot always looked mean and I couldn't get slide

mounts for them anyway. So I bought a Mamiya 7 to fill those

gaps and it works very well in these circumstances, working in

parallel with an SLR, though I rarely carry both together.

There are obviously disadvantages, and for me the inability to

see depth of field is the chief amongst these, but there is no

doubt that many of the photographs I make with the Mamiya

wouldn't get made with an SLR, or would be worse if they did.

Thank you for all the responses. With due respect to Jeff and David, I DO know what kind of photography i want to do. But to see if the M7 is compatible with the shooting i want to do, don't you still need to know what the M7's limitations/strengths are to see they fit with my shooting style? Hence my question. I am not one to shoot a particular way just because the camera i'm going to buy allows itself for that type of photography. I've just always found it strange so many posts about the Mamiya's close-focusing inaccuracy and posts about this NOT being the camera for landscape. So that prompted my question regarding what it does WELL instead of what it doesn't do well, mostly out of curiosity. When i think of a mamiya RZ67, i think studio camera (fashion, product shots). When i think of Leica M6 i think of street photography. So i was just wondering what kind of photography the Mamiya 7 is best suited for. Forgive me if this was a vague or unclear question. Also i meant getting the 65mm instead of the 80mm, not 50mm. (still thinking 35mm)

Look, it's really simple. It's good for anything that doesn't require close focusing, long lenses, fast lenses, TTL flash, and exact framing. That's it.

I don't understand the landscapes comment, I have met plenty of people who use it for landscapes, as long as they do the kind of landscapes that don't require the things I mentioned in the first paragraph.

The Mamiya 7 is a great general purpose walk-around camera. If you like rangefinder cameras you'll get on fine with the 7. Framing issues? If you must have exact framing you should get an SLR, otherwise just crop the big 6X7 neg how you want, there's lots of film to work with. The 65 is my first choice for a single lens outfit, its in the neighborhood of 28-35 on 35mm.

If your photographic style requires focusing closer than 3 feet, then a Mamiya 7 may be something of a challenge. If you work primarily with telephotos, the 150mm lens can be limiting (it only focuses to 6 feet, and the "framing" of an image takes some getting used to).

For everything else, including scenics, I think the Mamiya 7 is a brilliant camera. For me, the "perfect" applications include: scenics, street, wedding, portraiture, travel, building exterior/interia, railroad, settings where a nearly silent shutter is required, etc. While I prefer the 80mm over a 65mm lens, either lens would be quite good.

Perhaps you can rent one to try before buying?

Interesting comments about not being a landscape camera. I think that the M7 is whatever you want it to be. For example, Mark Klett shoot a Mamiya y and a 4x5 field camera. His landscapes make with the M7 are as sharp and detailed as I have seen. He attaches the old style Mamiya 6 to his 80mm lens for closeups.

Mark has recently created a series on Japan using the Mamiya 7. Outstanding is an understatement for his project. The Mamiya 7 is what you want it to be and more.

Some of the best images I have ever made were on my Mamiya 6. I tend to carry my Mamiya with me regularly leaving my 4x5 or Rollei 6008 home when I need to work light.

Every camera has it's strengths and weaknesses. The M7 is no exception. It's strengths are lighweight form, sharp lenses second to none, and portability.

Give it a shot and enjoy.

Jimmy - I bought a perfect used Mamiya 7 II & 65mm lens in March and am very happy with it. I use it almost exclusively for 'scapes (land, sea, street) both with and without a tripod. Framing has not been an issue for me, but DOF is. Thru trial and error and threads on the net (particularly at Mamiya's site) I've learned to read the DOF scale at two stops larger than the shooting f stop. If lens at f16 use f8 on the DOF scale. This has required some adjusting on my part. The camera is very comfortable in hand, quiet, tack sharp and the results with FP4+ (ISO 125) are excellent. David

The camera body, four lenses, and the smallish fanny pack to carry them all weighs 8.5 lbs, less than some 35mm SLRs. Plus the leaf shutter and no mirror means that you only need a very light tripod or in many cases no tripod at all. That to me makes it a very attractive camera for situations where you have to walk to the destination. As others have pointed out, the 6x7 format combined with the great optics makes for some amazing enlargements.