Work around found for lack of FEC and 300D ...

dave_trayers

Unfortunately, you must link with Remote 1.1 every time you change the setting. For me that's every few shots... This solution reminds me of the EOS 10S and barcode reader/input (the 10S lacked FEC). You could input a custom flash AE comp program into the barcode/memory position but must input a new one to change the setting. Needless to say it was too slow and chunky to be useful (unless -2.0 FEC was the only setting you used!). Hooking up to Remote 1.1 is even more slow and chunky than the old barcode gadget.

Get a 550EX or 10D if FEC is important...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Whilst the fix doesn't solve on the fly FEC while away from a computer it has to be good news for those who find they prefer some FEC dialled in permanently for use with the built in flash or a gun that doesn't have its own FEC adjustment. It also offers the prospect that Canon might be able to offer on body FEC via a firmware update at some future point - after all, it IS possible to achieve this after a fashion with Rebel film bodies.

The news might also open up some other partial uncrippling of 300D functionality - e.g. being able to set AI Servo or One Shot as focussing mode in the Creative zone (albeit by tethering to a computer to achieve the change).

And looking ahead, I'm sure that many people would like to be able to have editable custom modes instead of PIC modes on a 10D successor (or even on a 10D). Imagine being able to switch instantly from "Landscape" with say 100ISO, Av mode initially set to f/16, MLU, One Shot, centre focus point, AF on shutter release and evaluative metering as an adjustable basis to "Sports" with say 1600ISO, Tv mode set initially to 1/1000, no MLU, AI Servo, all focus points,AF on *, partial metering and continuous shooting. You might choose your parameters differently - but that's the point.