What about digital Leicas??? Is the Digilux 1 worth the money???

john_p.

i have recently read some reviews about the Leica Digilux 1. I

wonder if this camera (or her little sister the D-Lux) is worth

buying! Regarding the fast changes at the digital photo market is it

worth investing much more than you would spend on an other brand

equivelant (i guess this happens with all Leicas) to buy one of

them? I would especially appreciate opinions from those of you who

have used them! Thank you!

The lens in them is ok, but not really any better than that which is in most other main stream Canon and Olympus cameras for example. Also the image quality is poor I find, its noisy.

Overall the only reason to buy them I think is if you must have that red dot, otherwise buy from one of the other guys.

Digital Leicas are about the same as Ferrari lawnmowers. They might impress some of the neighbors, but they don't cut the grass any better (or any faster!).

Amen Bob. The digital world has also made players out of some of the systems that weren't as popular as film cameras. I personally would get more the most mp for your money and let your composition do the rest.

I own and use a Digilux 1. I would not buy one today simply because they are over a year old and there are now better offerings (unless you can get a good price). Also, the prices here (that I have seen in Brisbane)are basically the same as the panasonic. The Leica looks cooler:) There are 2 things that I love about this camera. 1. It doesn't look like a digicam from the front. People react diffently to digicams than they do to a film camera (I don't know why???) 2. The prints I have made (up to 8x10) look great. I also use a film SLR. the prints do not look as good as from this but this is no surprise. Oh, the other reason I would not buy one now is that I expect my next camera purchase will be a digi SLR.

I think that this camera was definately worth the money when i purchased it.

I get to play with this stuff for free & can buy at reduced cost. Nice camera layout. Looks really cool. Handles nicely. Lens is good. LCD viewer is larger than most other cameras in the same size.

Not enough pixels. Pansonic camera is basically the same. I own a Canon S45 in that size digital camera. The Leica is not competitive with other cameras in the same size / price range.

Would love a full frame digital Leica MP at about 10mp. Yeah, I already know the design/mechanical/optical problems with that scenario... but, it would be fun to have Leica interchangeable 'M' lenses in that size digital camera. Wouldn't it?