ALERT EBAY FRAUD

henry_ting2

Maybe this is the same person you sold to, giving himself a new id and resurrecting your ad for the same equipment(?). Or maybe someone with nearly identical equipment for sale(?). If so, I can see that it would tick you off, but not sure it's fraud exactly.

Ken, the listing did not reach my "reserve" at the time. Later, I listed the M6 separately with the lens. The lens got sold to a very happy person in Japan. I still have the titanium M6. Regardless this listing is fraudulent. Firstly he doen't have the equipment, Secondly the descriptions were exactly mine.

To me this is more proof that Ebay is more of a crapshoot than most realize. Again ebay is not a large tag sale, most of the sellers are are job lot sellers who get rid of extra inventory and ebay is really let the buyer beware. The tag sale types are a minor part of their business. Ebay really doesn't care unless they are caughr. They should be doing the screening. It's their business. Me, I strictly look.

This is the response I received from that seller last night... I had some questions about the M6 and lens he had listed on ebay Early Friday ........

Seems like a nice person!

Hi.

This camera its a brand new one ,sealed in its original box and have a certificate for one year world wide warranty.This camera its purchased from an auction organized by the custom here in Bucharest,Romania-it is confiscated from the people who try to introduce them in the country without paying the taxes ,but don't worry its perfectly legal and I have all the papers.Package contains;camera body,lens,lithium ion battery set,charger,in fact you will receive exactly and all what you see in the pictures.Final price is $1250 USD and I'll pay for ship and insurance of the package.As a payment method I agree money wire made by MoneyGram or Western Union and immediately after I have the payment confirmation I'll send you the package and email you the tracking number from UPS.The carrier used for shipping will be UPS 2nd day air service and the package will arrive at you in two days. I will pay for shipping and insurance to your location.I send all my package having written on them "camera unit, no comercial value" or as a gift so you don't have to pay any additional taxes(VAT included).If we have a deal,I will aprove you to bid and buy this camera only trough ebay buy it now sistem.I'll wait for your email on-line!

Best wishes,

Alexandru Grigorescu

Not to insult anyone from that area of the world. But I would not buy ANYTHING from Romania over the internet. There have been many news stories recently about how bad that country (and others in the area) is for cyber theft.

Ebay is buyer beware. But as long as you aren't an idiot, you'll do just fine. I have bought and sold hundreds of things there and have only had real problems a couple of times. And those were cleared up with persistance or a call to my credit card company.

I have recently bid on cameras on ebay.

BEWARE: for each bid I made I recvieved an email from a "seller" who happened to

have the exact (and out of production!) camera that I had bid on for sale. Always

"brand new in box" and at half the going price for the real used camera. In fact some

of these "sellers" included batteries for a camera that uses none.

Each one of these solicitations was a complete fraud. Do not even respond to anyone

who tries to sell you by email outside the real ebay auction.

-bruce