Travelling with laptop

phyrpowr

I will be taking my laptop with me on a trip to the RedRock country

and Eastern Sierra this Oct., and it will fit in my LowePro Photo

Trekker along with my camera gear, but lord is it heavy.

Are laptops in general, and Compaq Presarios in particular, tough

enough to withstand checked baggage handling? I can pad it with

clothes, but of course if the bag is searched, it would be unwarpped?

Does anyone have any pros or cons on this idea from your own

experience? I'd prefer to check the laptop rather than any of my

camera gear (except of course the tripod, which is always checked),

but should I just load it into the backpack and put up with the

extra search (inevitable with camera gear: hey, if I saw all those

cylinders attached to obvious electronic gear, I'd search it too)

Be aware that there is airline-specific weight limit (in addition to size limit) on carry-on luggage. It is not enforced as fiercely as size limit, but you'd better have "plan B" just in case.

If you decide to check stuff in, do not merely pad it with clothes; clothes compress and provide only so much protection.

Put it inside bubble wrap with large bubbles, wrapped twice around the laptop (or whatever else you might want to leave in the checked-in bag). Optionally secure wrapping with velcro (not scotch tape, so it can be easily unwrapped and re-wrapped).

Advise representative at the check-in counter that you want to keep your bag locked and that examined items should be re-wrapped the original way. They will communicate it to TSA screeners. Depending on the airport, your luggage can be examined either right in your presence or in the area you do not have access to, but still while you are waiting at the counter (since they will need the keys or code combination).

Chances are, your laptop, if properly packed, is going to survive suitcase transportation with 99.9% probability. You may ask yourself if sequences of 0.1% matter enough to justify inconvenice of carrying extra weight.

Laptops can be very tough. Once, when I was having mine examined by security to take one on the plane with me, another passenger managed to knock it off the table on to the floor. The hinge was a bit twisted, and it never closed perfectly again, but it continued to work until its retirement. For the last two years, for three days a week, I have carried a laptop to my classes inside a rolling carrier, where it was subjected to many bumps from breaks in the pavement, curbs, etc. I worried about it, and improved the carrier, but the laptop has been fine. A few years ago, a number of laptops survived a magazine's test which consisted of putting them in a large front-loading clothes drier and running it with the heat turned off for a few minutes.

However, what will happen to yours when it goes in with the luggage is unpredictable. Yours may break or be stolen. If you absolutely must check yours in, back up all your data and have the laptop insured. If the laptop is not connected to your work, you can insure it with a rider to your homeowner's or renter's insurance. If it is part of your work, do a search here for insurance through a professional association. You can improve its chances of survival by putting it in the center of a large hard-shell suitcase. Suitcases which have a divider that allows you to fill the top and bottom independently can make this easier. Make sure it is turned off, not merely asleep, when you pack it.

Good luck.

Do NOT check it in - you'd be taking a HUGE risk!!!

Instead (I assume you're from within the US??) just carry it aboard with you -- airlines allow 1 carry on and 1 personal item (such as a laptop)...

Or you can stuff it all in your Lowepro, and stuff the Lowepro and all of its contents into a wheeled carry on luggage.

Jack,

I would advise you not to check in the laptop. It is now required that all suitcases be left unlocked for random examination or for the airport security to check their content in case that they see unfamiliar objects in the scanners. All suitcases are being scanned, in most airports even before you check in. After that, you cannot touch them again until you get to your destination. No matter how well you pack the laptop, if your suitcase is selected for a thorough examination, there is the possibility that they won�t have the time to re-pack it properly. I would rather mail it in advance.

I carried the laptop with me during a recent trip, though. To add to the information about the current airport scanning that I have already given in the recent thread: �storage device� posted on August 4, 2003, let me be more specific about the photo equipment that I was carrying during my last month trip to Alaska: Nikon 500 mm f/4, 20-35 mm f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, macro 105 mm f/2.8, 1.4TC, 2X TC, SB-28, several neutral grad and polarizing filters, extension rings, flash extender and one D-100 with the multifunction battery pack attached plus one F-5. Also, compact binoculars. That all went in my carry-on. I try not to mix any other objects with the photo equipment so that the content of the carry-on is totally clear when it passes through the airport scanners.

In a large handbag that I could hardly closed I carried my laptop, 8 CDs, one paperback, a large wallet, 70 rolls of film, microdrives, extra batteries, cosmetic bag, a manila folder with important papers like reservations, air tickets and the sort, sunglasses, earphones for my laptop and more small paraphernalia, I even carried water and an in-flight snack. I was also wearing my photo vest with a few small items in it because my suitcases were too full to pack it in.

I traveled by myself. Miraculously, they never opened or hand checked any of my bags or the carry-on. They are just asking to place the laptop in a basket to pass it through the scanners separately, which I knew beforehand, so I was ready for this tiny inconvenience: every time that I took the laptop out of the handbag, it seemed that there was no room to put it back.

Best of luck!

Jack,

When I've traveled, I always take my laptop with me in my carry-on. On a recent trip

out to Glacier National Park, I had a day pack with two bodies, a 17-40mm, 28-

135mm, 100-400mm, filters, cleaning stuff, a digital wallet, batteries, film, chargers,

cables, and my iBook. I have a small, padded sleeve for my iBook which allows me to

carry it separately. You'll have to take your laptop out of your pack to send it through

the x-ray machine anyway. Btw, I've traveled quite a bit the last couple of years, and

have never been stopped for an extra search because of my camera gear.

Also, every airline I've seen states that you can have 1 carry on and 1 personal item.

Laptops count as a personal item. I definitely wouldn't put my laptop in checked

baggage. I've never worried too much about the weight because I was never carrying

it very far.

In May we travelled ou of country with a DSLR and laptop. We dedicated a carry on bag for the laptop and large lenses. The laptop was required to be individually inspected coming back into Houston. It was there that we found it's best to have the laptop packed in such a way as to be quickly/easily removed from the carry on bag with no disturbance to the other contents.

They would probably give most all of our camera gear more scrutiny now, based on news... not really sure.

ONE WEEK AGO when the latest security threat was announced, the TSA was instructed to pay more "specific attention to both laptops AND cameras." A very recent experience at the airport was unsettling. My companion's camera gear was completely inspected like never before and mine was thoroughly handled. His laptop went through xray twice. By all means carry it with you but be prepared...

TW

I do not know what the problem is, but would like to find out. I am going on a photography trip next month and would like to know if the reason why I am NOT being searched when carrying over 50 LB of photo equipment is because I am organized and make it easy for the airport security to check the content of my carry-on or if it is because I am a woman. In regard to the latter, as far as photogarphy goes, I would like to be considered an "it." If anyone is interested, I will share the next airport scanning experience.