Frustration with Epson 2100 colors

Hi,

I just got back with my Epson 2100. Earlier I was using Epson 1280 and

had some nice prints. This was some 5 months back when I moved to USA

from Switzerland to join DreamWorks. Meanwhile I had received Epson

2100 but did not get time at all to explore it.

Ok, to make the story short, I realized that I am not able to get the

colors right at all. I tried various things but all the colors are

horribly muddy/dull and there is strong blue cast. I open photographs

taken with Nikon D100 jpg, which have color space Nikon RGB which I

presume is same as Adobe RGB. Photoshop does not complain about

profile mismatch as my working space is Adobe RGB. Then I print using

settings a) Source profile: Same as document b) Print space: I chose

Epson supplied Semigloss Photo profile c) Intent: Relative

colorometric d) Turn off printers color management and print. I expect

to get some decent result as the profile is supplied by Epson

(Australia).

What's the problem. I pulled out ColorVision's ProfilerPlus and tried

to generate the profile, but stopped thinking that I should first make

sure what's happening.

On a side note, is it worth buying ColorVisions new PrintFix? Any one

have any experience.

Thanks

Sunil Hadap

Sounds like double correction to me. You don't mention what image editor you are using but I will assume Photoshop 7.

Try the following: In the Photoshop Print with Preview dialog, check the Show More Options box, select Color Management from the scroll down menu (defaults to Output)and on Print Space select Same as Source. Click Print... > Settings and choose Photoenhance Normal as your print driver adjustment (You can also experiment with Color Controls, starting at the default settings). If the paper profile matches the medium, the print should be practically identical to the image on your monitor, also assuming it is well calibrated.

Please let me know if it helps.

I had the same problem you did with my Epson 2200(US version of the 2100) and found the following solution after many hours of research and testing (and losing a few hairs ;-)

In Photoshop, select "Print with Preview" and then under "Print Space" choose Printer Color Management. You should see "AdobeRGB" under Source Space (Document: Adobe RGB 1998)

Then go to Printer Properties (Advanced) and choose "Color Controls", then go down to the colors and start by adjusting Yellow to +15 (since you have a heavy blue cast, you can balance that by increasing its color opposite which is yellow). Experiment by increasing or decreasing in 5-pt increments with the actual yellow setting until you get the desired result and then fine-tune. Everything else should remain as is (keep default settings)

As for the dullness of the colors, you can either boost the saturation in Photoshop or try boosting it under the Advanced settings and see if that helps.

If you absolutely prefer to go with "Epson Semigloss Photo profile" under "Print Space" then go with Intent: Perceptual. This works best for photos.

Good luck and let me know if this works for you.

Hi Sunil, I was rather dissatisfied with my 2200 until I profiled my monitor and fully understood how to print using profiles. In my humble opinion, getting your monitor and printer profiled are musts with this printer. I'm also not sure I'd assume Nikon's RGB is the same as Adobe's, and/or that your monitor is tuned to either. It's a pain in the butt, but once you've got it, well... you've got it! Best wishes . . .

All good input. But if you are using Epson ink with Epson paper and Epson installed

profiles, I find it easier to choose COLORSYNC and PRINTER COLOR MANAGEMENT. I

am preparing a PRINT DRIVER tutorial but I am sure there are many on the web. The

2200 inkjet will never look just like the 1280 dye one but that doesn't mean great

prints can't result. Tangerines and orange..........