Advise needed: Looking for camera shop in San Francisco

michiel_bernhard

Depends what you call "good". No camera store in the Bay Area will match B&H in NY or Samy's in LA, although Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto might get a shot at it.

In San Francisco itself, the most reliable store is Adolph Gasser on 2nd Street, but they are not the most friendly salespeople, except for the darkroom department downstairs. You have 3 camera stores on Kearny St (Kearny @ Maiden Lane, Kearny @ Post and Kearny @ Pine) that will give you semi-decent prices on consumer gear (again, nowhere near as cheap as B&H). There is a good place for Nikon and Leica gear on Market @ Jones. Fireside carries a decent Leica selection, but at rather stiff prices.

If you are looking for lighting or darkroom supplies, or camera rentals, Photographer's Supply on Bryant @ 2nd is the place I prefer.

Avoid "Discount" Cameras on Kearny.

Don't know what you're looking for or if you ever get over that way, but I'd like to plug my current favorite photo shop, Looking Glass Photo in Bezerkeley on Telegraph (betw. Ashby & Dwight, not far from Cal). It's a small shop that has a lot of good stuff: chemistry, papers, books, etc. Staffed by bright young folks, which I suspect may have something to do with their clientele (a lot of CCAC students seem to go there).