Add 16% first developer for Fuji chromes?

I was looking through the Jobo site, and found that they recommend

giving Fuji slide films 16% additional time in the first developer in

the <a href="http://www.jobo-

usa.com/instructions/instructions_tetenal_e-

6_three_bath.htm">manual</a> for their E6 chemistry.

<p>

Has anybody heard of this before? I thought E6/CR56 was standardized

so that you didn't have to do this kind of thing.

the reason is an old argument between F & K about film speed rating, F says that K is 1/3 stop faster then the real standard, K says that F is slower by 1/3 stop. in the pro field there is a few different approach; regarding processing< Q-lab standard is of course ajusted for you know who, but Q-lab labs if they have to many F film clients can elect to aim for a deviated speed as long as they maintain it (usually the choice is +1/4 or +1/3), regarding shooting< pros will usually run a roll to confirm speed of a new lab, the majority of labs in the western world will be on K standard so pros offenly rate e-100 @ 100 and provia 100 @ 80. SO... back to you 16% increase is a bit much from my experience it would mean almost +1/2, but my first question to you is what film you usually shoot & at what speed? exp. if its elite100 or e-100 @ 100 then for most of the F films (unless you like them saturated)increase exposure by 1/3 stop & process the standard time or add 13% time in the 1st dev and accept a bit more higher contrast & grain.

I was told by a representative (technical support) of Jobo that any Fuji chromes like provia 100F, 400F or any fujichromes with the "F" desination increase 1st developer by 8%. All other fujichromes - sensia 100, 200 & 400, Increase by 16%. Upon practice I believe and agree that 16% may be a bit much. I nearly exclusivily shoot sensia due to price and color saturation. Medium format I'm stuck with provia.

Jay

Jonathon,

Using the Tetenal/Jobo 6-bath process, 1st dev, I have found 6:30 to work best for Kodak E100 (exactly what Jobo recommends) and 7:00 for Provia (+8%). These times yield slides which scans well, but are about 1/3rd stop denser than the same films processed via Fuji mailers.

The Tetenal literature says 1st dev. time should affect only the density of the result. My experience bears this out.

They also say �development times are averages which may need to be individually adapted to the combination of processor, agitation during development and the ratio of film area per quantity of 1st developer.� I process two rolls of 135-36 or one 220 in 250ml of one-shot working solutions, which �wastes� 50% of the chemistry�s capacity, but yields very consistent results.

I suggest you start with Jobo�s guidelines and adjust per your own needs.

Cheers,