my perfect camera

d._p.1

Didnt any of the camera makers ever think of adding an

<u>incident</u> light meter in the camera body? My perfect camera

would be an m2 (with, while we're at it, speeds and flash sync up to

1/4000) and a coupled light meter which you can read from either a

little dail on the top plate or inside the view finder. Am i alone in

this? I reckon it would save the hassle of the fumbling with this

extra gadget (in my case a digisix).<br><br>just daydreaming.

<br><br>yes, i know of the styrofoam cup solution...

<i>My perfect camera would be an m2 (...) and a coupled light meter which you can read from either a little dail on the top plate (...)</i><p>

You are describing the vintage Leica-Meter MC. Just make sure it comes with the appropriate diffuser to put in front of the cell to turn it into an incident light meter.

well - if thats the sentiment in the market I understand camera manufactures a little better.<br><br>Mike, if my camera would have an incident meter I would indeed turn it 180 degrees from the subject to measure the light. Or... it could have a little extending arm with teh light cell at its end, that protrudes from the right side of the camera body all the way behind your head so that you dont even have to turn. Or how about a meter in the back of your camera strap, with a little wire to your camera. Or...

<BR><br>Jay the hand method is sometimes good, sometimes akward: when your hand is in the shadow of the camera or your body it's of no use. Plus, my whole idea was to have an extra hand free instead of engaged in metering<br><br>Xinbad I find incident metering the best trade-off between precision and speed when working out the right exposure. Since spending some time with an incident meter and cameras with non-functioning lightmeters I just dont buy that reflective story anymore. but thats just me.<br><br>Rob, with respect to the admirable compactness of your reply... what IS a Norwood Director?

I have an ancient extinction device that reads in "Scheiner". Used to analyse estimate the actual lighting situation in conjunction with the "Sunny 16" rule it has often saved the day when I've forgotten to buy a new battery. It would seem that modern technology could devise a sophisticated version of the extinction meter that would be helpful in situations where memory and electronics have failed in the face of promising opportunity.

gentlemen - the idea was to have the ease of use of any regular built-in light meter, but measuring incident light. So, no fumbling with any extra gadgets, no unscrewing the lens etc. But thanks anyway. The clip-on leica MC sounds perfect, would it still be accurate? (i guess not) and affordable (i guess not)?