M6 Frame Line Problem

charliexia

I have been using my M6 for over five years now, I have never

encountered a problem until yesterday... i was switching between my

from my 28mm lens to my 50mm, and when i switched back to my 28mm,

the frame lines didn't change back to the 28mm frame line. I have

tried to change the framelines manually, but all i get is the 75mm

and 50mm framelines... Has anyone experianced this problem before?

If so, are there anyways of fixing it? how much would such a repaire

cost, and finally what can i do to pervent such problems from

happening again?

Thanks,

Charlie.

The 28/90 frame line is made by the most movement of the tab in the lens mount. That, coupled with the fact that you cannot bring up the lines manually... suggests some internal problem - probably just getting gummed up a little.

Leave the 28 lens on for a while and see if the lines evenaually drop into place. If so, you might be able to excersize it a little and get them to free up a bit. OR... send it in for a cleaning.

I've had the same problem with my 2 M6s .85, but never with my M2 nor my M4 (unfortunately sold long time ago...). At that time I thought that Leica is no longer what it was...

The first one was quite new and was repaired free by Leica in France, the second one was 5 years old and was repaired by Gerard at Photo Suffren in Paris for a 100 � cost. I hope I'll definutely out of this #@ç*£& problem. Since you have a 28 frame, you might have a .72 but, at least for me, it seems to be the same problem.

BTW, I trade last April one of my .85 for a black MP ; now I think that, as far as Solms want, Leica is still what it was. Wonderful camera, maybe a few 1000 shots during 6 months, very nice to use, and painting is not a problem...

Raymond

I had the same thing happen a couple years ago with an M6 classic, only the lenses still brought up the correct framelines but the manual preselector lever didn't. I sent it to Sherry, she charged me $155 for a full overhaul, returned it with black waxy tar-like stuff all around where the top plate butts the body covering, and the previously right-on shutter speeds were at the far reaches of tolerance (like 1/3 to 1/2 stop over or under). I ended up sending it to DAG and paid another $275 to have the CLA redone and the black crap cleaned off. It was then perfect.

Not sure what it is called but there is an apparently flimsy wire/spring that controls/assists in the selection of the frame lines. Last year, on one of my 5-6 year old M6's (serial # starting with 22XXX..., I can't remember the other numbers) the wire/spring apparently broke and NEITHER the frame line selector or any lens would change the frame line selection. It stayed the same set of lines but I do not remember what set of frame lines it was "stuck" on. I sent it to Sherry Krauter. It apparently requires a pretty full disassembly to get the small part replaced and adding a full CLA was not much more (actually I think I just paid for the CLA and the minimal cost of the wire/spring). Do not know about black goo, etc From Ms. Krauter but my repaired/CLA'ed M6 works very well.

Robert