gary e

Hello All,

I have a 50 3c, 90 2c and a 135 2c. I wanted opinions from users who

had either gotten a cla/relube of their old lenses or had chosen to

buy new ones. Though I know the delema that new lenses have the rom

and not the 2nd cam which I need. This will increase the cost

considerably to have them installed from Leica. The cosmetics are

decent with the old lenses. Is it just better to get the lens cla'd,

lubed and cammed to the 3rd if I should get the R8/9?

Absolutely. None of those lenses was improved in the later years, there's no point in trading them on later models. Or on having them ROM'ed for the R8/9 as all the ROM does is activate the zoom head in Metz flashes. Leica says it improves exposure in "P" mode but that's kind of an oxymoron even if it is true which I've never seen anyone offer proof that it is. I also question why you think you need them CLA'd? All R lenses are a little stiff to focus and if yours are a bit too stiff if you work them a little they should free up. I've really not seen very many R lenses that needed a re-lube, so unless they've got fungus starting I wouldn't let even the best technician open them up if it isn't a dire need.

I'd keep the lenses and CLA if (and only if) nessesary. However, and this is a minor point, depending on which model of the lenses you have there may have been some optical changes in later models of the 50mm and 135mm lenses. If you have the Canadian versions of these lenses you've got the latest (best) versions. It's likely you'd only notice the differences at the edges at the widest apertures. You don't say whether your 90mm lens is the Elmarit (f/2.8) or Summicron (f/2.0). There were no changes in the optical formula of the Summicron before the current APO-Aspheric model - which can't be converted to use on the SL - but there were 2 versions of the Elmarit. Since your lens is a 2-cam model it would be the old optical formula. It's an excellent lens, even at close distances, but a bit bulky and heavy. The 2nd version is much more compact and its performance is nearly the equal of the APO-Aspheric Summicron.

BTW my old 90mm Summicron-R was originally a 2-cam lens and needed a CLA when the aperture ring became very stiff. I've had this particular lens since 1980 and I'm still delighted with its performance.