Close Up Filter for Yashica Mat 124G

bernard_r._negrin

You need a "Bay 1" close up set. This is a 30 mm bayonet mount. Also fits Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessar/Xenar lenses (not Planar/Xenotar) and the Minolta Autocord (I think). B&H Photo in New York City might have them in stock, if not they can be ordered. You need one lens for the taking lens, one for the viewing lens. The Rolleiflex Bay 1 complete setup is great in that it includes a prism (called a Rolleiparkiel, I believe) for the viewing lens so you will see exactly what you will get on the film, no parallax error. Note that there are 3 "strengths" of close-up lenses, #1, #2 and #3. The #3 gets you closest. I use a #1 on my Rolleiflex, excellent results but I usually use a tripod and stop down to f11.

"Is the separation between taking and viewing lenses the same with the 124G as for the Rolleis? If not, the Rollei set won't cure the parallax issue. If so, it's a great solution."

Nick has raised an important point! I will measure as best I can to see what the center to center distance is for the Rolleiflex and a Yashica Mat 124. If they are not the same, the Rollei prism won't give the proper parallax correction on the Yashica. I will post results tomorrow.

Yes, the Yashicamat 124 and the Rolleiflex have the same center/center distance, so the Rolleinar magnifiers will work correctly on either one with no parallax trouble. I have recently tested a Rolleinar 1 and found it to be exceptionally sharp- no need to worry about loss of quality by adding an auxiliary lens with those babies!

One cautionary note if you are going the other direction with magnification though. I've been acquiring and testing telephoto and wide angle auxiliary lenses for my 2 Rollei TLRs, (Sun, Yashinon, Spiratone), and I've found that in the case of the Rollei cameras (both Zeiss & Schneider lenses), some of these aftermarket lenses have a nasty rear element projection that won't allow the bayonet lugs to engage to the camera's mating part. The rear element actually rests on the inner lens mounting bezel of the Rollei, or worse, could potentially contact the fine German glass- heaven forbid!

Mind you, they all work well on a Yashicamat. The Sun lenses work OK on a Rollei, but the Yashinon and Spiratone lenses won't attach. Actually, the Yashinon will attach, but with a strong breath it will drop off- no kidding, its that tentative. I took one test pic with the Yashinon tele, and it was quite sharp, but I don't trust the mount. I've got more tests coming with new equipment on the way, so I will report it on this forum, maybe with a new thread so everyone can find it. Has anyone else had experiences with these Asian aftermarket wonders?

Bob, please post some photos u took w/ the rolleinar,am really interested,just got a rolleinar 1,but havent really tried it yet,coz i had my 3.5F CLAd and it's still in the shop and these close up lenses just fit my 3.5,not my 2.8. it's good to hear from you that they actually work well and produce sharp images.. thanks pc

• 5 years later...