PC Connection Rating for EOS-1v

bill_goldman

Although it is well publicized that EOS cameras� hotshoes have a 6

volt maximum rating for trigger voltage, I have also seen claims

that the PC connection on the EOS-1D and �1Ds are rated for use with

studio type strobes having a trigger voltage of up to 250 volts.

I�ve also seen a comment that the EOS-1v�s PC connection is also

rated for up to 250 volts; and indeed, the EOS-1 series PC

connection in general is rated at 250 volts.

My question is: Has anyone seen anything published by Canon, or

verified with Canon, that the 250 volt rating is valid for the EOS-

1v? And is that true for the EOS-1 and �1N, also?

The hotshoe and PC connector are connected together internally so there is no difference in voltage rating between the two. <p>

There are many "claims" floating around, question is do you really want to trust your camera to them? I keep saying this here- there is no reason to use sync cords. Use one of the slave transmitter/receiver systems available. The IR ones are pretty inexpensive and certainly alot less money than a new camera. You can then work with any strobes you may have without worry. You also won't have cords to trip over.

Hal, your point about using a wireless transmitter is well taken. However, I posed the question more out of curiosity than anything.

I have a pair of White Lightning strobes which have a trigger voltage of about 25 volts but presently prefer to use the Canon wireless E-TTL system instead. I did purchase a Wein Safe-Sync in case I needed to use the White Lightnings but wondered if I hadn't wasted my money since I have heard the claims about 250 volts.

I also posted this question on the DPReview EOS-1D/EOS-1Ds forum and this is one of the answers I got:

"I use 170 volt strobes with my 1D and did, as well, with my -3. IIRC, Chuck Westfall said that ALL EOS-1 cameras will tolerate up to 250 volts."

If you're not familiar with the name Chuck Westfall, he is the Canon technical guru whom many rely on for real information.

Nevertheless, I doubt that the hotshoe and pc switch are tied together. I am sure they operate independently.

Don't know where my first post went but I am of the opinion that the two connectors, PC and hotshoe are wired to one switch/set of contacts that fire the flash when both shutter curtains are in the fully open position. Why would they put in 2 parts when one will do? Cameras with rear curtain flash have a second contact, but again it is wired to both PC and hotshoe. If there were 2 different switches then you would have to select which one you wanted to use. Now these new modern hi-tech jobs may have different strength circuitry going to the different connectors but the older manual cameras were wired the same.

The flash firing signal to the hotshoe switch and the pc switch may very well be tied together. However, there may be an additional relay or solid state switch downstream for the PC connection which can handle the higher potential.

Regardless of the voltage of the strobe, I am sure the current is very small. The only potential problem is pitting of the contacts.

And after all, I am told the EOS-1D manual states that the PC connector can tolerate 250 volts.