absolutely stunning. I was nervous about seeing the first slides

(all this talk about slide film being super-sensitive and all) but

most shots were exposed right on IMO.

At any rate, I am rather excited right now and just thought I would

share. I've been shooting Provia and Velvia--just because I see it

all the time in the mags--and I'm interested in other people's

preferences. Cheers.

Matthew,

There is nothing quite like looking at slides on a lightbox. I'll assume that's what you were doing based on your excitement. Unfortunately, when you scan them, something gets lost in the translation (i.e. they don't have that glow you see when the light's coming through them - obviously). Nonetheless, I enjoy shooting them as well. The view from the lightbox keeps me coming back.

Bill

You have to remember that a slide can hold up to 2 times the amount of colour and detail that a print has. Therefore when you are viewing your slides on the lightbox, that's about as good as they'll ever look. Also, Velvia is a very high saturation film, I agree withe suggestion that you try the E100G, its a great film without over-the-top colour saturation like velvia. Don't let these responses discourage you however, transparancies are greet to shoot and I love them too. They also, as you noted, help expose errors in your exposure length as well. Just enjoy!

-Dominic

<i>"You may invest several years of shooting only to find you like something else better."</i>

<p>Or only to have the stupid manufacturer drop the film from their lineup without warning. Save yourself the trouble and stick with Fuji emulsions. Velvia and Provia are bread and butter for the few pros left who haven't gone digital.

I've been shooting slides for about a year, and haven't had any desire to shoot print film since! I've used Velvia, and enjoy the "punch" it gives dull scenes, but in bright, colorful situations, sometimes it's overkill. I took a roll of Elite Chrome 100 Extra Color on vacation, and it was great for landscapes, but the skin tones were terribly orangy. Ektachrome 100VS gave me nice, saturated colors, but again skin tones in closeups were not natural looking. My favorite overall slide film is Kodachrome 64. I am in Love with this film!!! I know I can use it anytime, anywhere, and get a natural, colorful look. It's perfect for people shots, skin tones are dead accurate! And i've found by experimenting there are ways to make outdoor scenes more colorful in Kodachrome...using a polarizing filter, bracketing my shots, shooting the same scene at ISO 64 and ISO 80, and also pointing my camera's lens at the brighter part of the picture, locking in the exposure, then recomposing the shot and taking the picture all help me get Kodachrome slides without that "sunlit washout" look, and better color saturation. I've also heard that the new Velvia 100F is pretty good..I will probably stick to that and Kodachrome for myself. I project my slides, but don't leave them on the screen for long, also look at them thru a handheld viewer..I don't mix the Velvia's and the Kodachromes in the same slide tray, as the Velvia tends to make the Kodachrome's look dull, when in fact, the Kodachrome is a good representation of what the scene really looked like.

Another vote against Provia 100F - I really don't like the cold palette, except in winter situation (I don't mind the snow looking blue a bit in the shadows). Velvia is awesome in overcast situations, but just too much under the full sun.

I'm still looking for a low contrast, warm to neutral film to replace Provia in sunny situations. Kodak E100 is too contrasty, so I'm currently testing Agfa RSX 100. The first roll came out more than OK, with neutral, but faithful and glowing colors. Saturation is a bit lower than with Provia and the grain is a bit bigger, but nothing major.

I'm still testing the film under various situations before I really make my mind in this one, but my feeling already is that it is seriously underevalued.

Scott: Pulling Provia 400F one stop might be a solution, but the price of the stuff is unfortunately insane. Here in Montreal, they sell Provia 400F for 15.50 canadian dollars vs 9.75 for Provia 100F and 9.50 for Velvia 50. To make it worse, the lab overcharges one or two dollars for push/pull.

I'm not the type to always go for the cheaper solution (after all, Velvia isn't that cheap either) but if a 7.50 film like RSX 100 does the job I expect from it, I'll be glad to pays half the price and to shoot twice as many rolls.

I'm looking forward to Astia, which is said to hit the canadian market again very soon (it's been unavailable for quite a while, now). I'll give it a serious test, too. Meanwhile, RSX 100 seems to be a very good compromise, even though you seem defiant of any product bearing the Agfa name.

Ian.

I have compared 35mm, 120, and 4x5 Velvia 50 on the light table. Same approximate angle of view and identical tripod position for the photos. Oddly enough I find at the same viewing distance the 120 format seems more appealing to the eye, probably because the eye is moving around more to see all of the 4x5 image. However, with high quality lenses the 4x5 image is far superior in both colour and resolution! Under 10x magnification there are details in the 4x5 that simply do not make it onto the 35mm film, you cannot believe it until you see it! Yes, I love seeing the 4x5 transparency on the light table, now if I could only figure out how to project it? My retirement project will have to be to build some backlit picture frames for the 4x5's and display them appropriately! Don't get me wrong, 35mm is still most of what I shoot but when I can take the 4x5, I do. Have fun!

The new Astia 100F is brilliant stuff, just so you know. Clean, accurate, holds

highlight detail remarkably well. I bought five rolls when I got to New York a

month ago. A 12x18 print from 35mm had no perceptible grain -- and the

colors are absolutely right on. If it weren't so expensive I'd buy 50 rolls

tommorow; as it is, I'm going through it a bit more slowly.

Ouch! Astia 100F is 5.89 at B&H and that means that the retail cost here in Canada will likely be in the 12-14 dollars range, at least when it is introduced. I wish I had a good reason to go to New York. With the current exchange rate favouring the candian dollar a bit more, there are somme good deals to be done on film in their store.

If only their shipping cost to Canada wasn't so prohibitive!

Philippe -

I'm not sure about its official status in Canada, but I know that Astia is available in Toronto right now. Henry's web page lists Astia 100F in stock in 135, 120, and 4x5, and I know I saw a box that said Astia on it in Downtown Camera's Fuji fridge on monday (I don't remember anything else about it). Henry's is selling the 100F for $11.99, just as you guessed. Of course this doesn't tell you anything about mtl, but if you really wanted some 100F, you could have Henry's ship it to you for a lot less than those insane prices we pay to have things sent from B&H.

I'm using the consumer version of Kodachrome 64...it's right at the courtesy counter at my grocery store. I pick up a roll a week , when I do my grocery shopping..very convenient! I also can drop it off at their film counter...turnaround time for Kodak for me is about 6 days...I did just send my first prepaid mailer to A and I Photo, i'll see how that turns out. I've also used Happy D (Dwayne's) labs for Kodachrome processing , they're great!

Somebody suggested "experimenting" with different emulsions and that's a good idea, but you

have to make side-by-side comparisons or you will go crazy. (Using interchangeable film backs

on a Hasseblad, for example, makes this easy as you can expose the same scene on different

film without removing the camera from the tripod.)

Personally, I like saturated color film transparencies if I am going to have large, 20x24 or 30x40

laser prints made as at $200 a print you don't want anything less than the best quality. I have

found that Kodak E100VS and Fuji Velvia 50 (haven't tried 100) give me the deep saturation

needed for "public exhibition prints." People just react better to saturated colors--the WOW

factor at work, I guess. For personal portrature or "mood" photos you might prefer a different

film. But the two I mentioned are great for scenics and landscapes.

That said, I guess it should be obvious that "inexpensive film" is just plain "inexpensive film"

and tends to produce mediocre results. Chances are you won't be making 30 x 40 Lightjet

prints from the $1.95 stuff bought at K-Mart or the local supermarket checkout line.