henricus

I just got my scans of B&W negatives back from Costco today and I

must say I was not pleased. I don't know if the fault lies in the

user or the tool though. Most of the subject matter appeared double

as if there was camera shake. I remember shooting most of these

picks at 30 at the very slowest and thought this would be okay to

hand-hold. Was I wrong and caused the doubling myself? I hope so

as I haven't used this camera in some time and I hope there isn't

anything wrong with it.<div>006M2r-15055284.jpg.6a61d45f073a470e4565181f536de79e.jpg</div>

It's hard to say what the problem is. 1/30 is right on the border of what can be

handheld, and a small camera like the XA is more prone to movement than a

larger one. ON a more subjective note, I also pulled out my XA a little while

ago and was disappointed in the lens quality compared to what I've gotten

with the much newer Olympus Stylus Epic. The XA was a good compact

camera 25 years ago, but perhaps it's showing it's age nowdays.

I would say that you do have some camera shake. There is a bit of a learning curve to holding the XA steady, and if you have not used it in a while I would say that is your problem. I would fire off another roll of film. Do at least a couple of shots from a tripod for comparisons sake. I think you will find as you use it more you will get more steady.

Jim Couch

Looks like camera/photographer motion blur.

That's understandable. As far as I can tell the XA-series automation tends to default to a smaller aperture at the expense of a longer shutter speed.

I've spent a lot of time peering through the lens of my XA2 (since sold) and XA3 (with film door open). Consistently the diaphragm will stop down slightly do a smaller aperture, forcing a slower shutter speed.

There are times when I'd prefer the cameras would default to a wide open aperture and faster shutter speed but, apparently, Olympus designed them a specific way. Presumably they were more concerned about unsharp photos due to a too-shallow DOF and misplaced focus.

To cope with this default I virtually always rely on the fastest practicable film to force a faster shutter speed. And I never expect to see anything like shallow DOF and selective focus with these cameras.

Suspicions confirmed! :o( <p>Lex, thanks for the informative comments, I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to try a roll of Tri-X and see how I do. I have an epic, but I prefer the manual focus of the XA. As a street shooter, the XA handles great and I'm not that concerned with shallow depth of field for street photography. Thanks to everyone for your insight. It is much appreciated.<p>I'm off to test my new OM 28mm f2.8!

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Olympus XA and had similar problems when I took shots indoors of my grandchildren. Not doubled, but definitely not sharp. It was due mainly to camera shake; I just can't hold a camera as steady as I did decades ago, though I hate to admit it. How about a test on a tripod using the self timer mode on bottom lever. There isn't a conventional cable release 'socket' on this camera. Granted it's not a technique for street shots, but it will reassure you that the lens is as sharp as so many reviewers claimed-praised to the heavens. That's why I bought mine and an XA2 to boot. Enclosed is a recent photo taken with my XA with HP5 souped in D76 1:0.<div>006S3S-15199184.jpg.1ebc98c82898811a3784ea324687fa32.jpg</div>