todd l. wilson

I know there's been a lot of threads on this subject but no one seems

to touch on using one film with the other holder. I like both Velvia

and Kodak B&W films. Does Fuji film work in the Kodak holder and

vice versa? Which cross over is the better combination? I probably

can't give up Velvia. I suppose I could use Fuji B&W print film if

forced to but would rather be able to still use the Kodak. Does the

Polaroid holder support either of these films? Bottom line, which

one do I want that will support BOTH brands? Thanks.

Hi Todd-

I routinely use a Kodak Readyload holder for both Fuji and Kodak packets. My holder is the last model before the single sheet Readyloads. I shoot about 4 to 1 Portra 160 to Provia 100 and find that the Kodak holder works well for me.

I also have a Quickload holder but it doesn't work with the Kodak Readyloads so I don't use it much.

jim

I have the Polaroid 545i holder and use it with Polaroid and Readyloads. I've never had a problem with the Readyloads (not counting a few ID # 10-T errors.) I haven't tried Quickloads in it yet; still burning up loose sheets of Velvia...

This one gets kicked around at least once a month. Here is the most realistic way to answer your question.

You finally get a weeks worth of valuable vacation to take +/- $2,000 worth of large format equipment out in the field in the pursuit of quality images. Several folks have told you that you can get away with cycling a few quickloads of Velvia in your Kodak readyload holder without a hitch so that is the direction for you.

Unexpectedly, the skies open up with some marvelous light and you quickly get set up and decide to burn a few sheets of Velvia. You insert the film packet in your Kodak holder, make your exposure, push the red button and pull the tab out less the metal bracket and the film. Panic immediately sets in because you wanted to cut down on weight and made a decision to rely singularly upon quickloads and the one holder you have is suffering from post tramatic metalic ingestion.

Assuming that you are mechanically inclined, have the small phillips screwdriver at your fingertips and can successfully perform surgery on the holder to extract the remnants of the mishap without losing the mini screws, all you are out is the time necessary to fix it. Meanwhile, in addition to taking your mind completely off of making images, the light is continuing to degrade.

My point is that the risk reward relationship while out making photographs does not support the possible risks of using Fuji quickloads in a Kodak readload holder or vice versa. It costs $99 to take this variable out of the equation (purchasing the Fuji quick load holder). Large format photographers are many times a contradicting bunch of folks. Spend $2,000 on their favorite lens and/or camera then get all quiver lipped about getting the correct readyload holder for the film that they choose. You would not take excessive risks with the weather or your vehicle, why would you in this instance?

Best of luck in your decision.

Michael:

I paid about $200 for my super speed graphic with a broken shutter and fixed it. I understand what you're saying but I don't really have the budget for that. I barely have the budget for one. Right now I have film holders but being limited to ten shots at a time right now before i have to spend an hour or two dusting my bathroom and loading film holders to get ten more shots is extremely annnoying. I've seen that website too (http://www.butzi.net/reviews/readyquick.htm). He mentions interchangeability but when you read the fine print you discover that he's only used the Fuji for about 2 sheets of film. Anyone using the Fuji holder for both films?

Todd, I'm in the same boat you are (poor). I have to carefully plan each purchase too. About a year ago I decided on the Fuji Quickload instead of the Kodak, mainly because of Velvia & Astia. I'm shooting more B&W now. I mostly use Tri-X sheets in holders, but have just started using some of the Fuji Acros in Quickload. It is really a great film. Very close to TMAX in every way, as far as my eye can tell. More expensive though. I've read too much on the problems with mixing quickloads/readyloads/polaroids and I don't want to go through that.

Todd, I don't buy that for a country second and here is why.

Burning 100 sheets of 4x5 sheet film in a year is not unrealistic for even a modestly active weekend warrior. If we were to compare the costs of your five conventional sheet film holders at a price of $20 each new, we are at the price of a readyload holder so this is a wash for discussion purposes. But that being said, the disparity in the costs of the pre-loaded film is where your argument can fall apart.

Fuji Velvia 4x5 readyloads are about 1.5 times the price from a bulk box to the pre-loaded version ($1.88/sheer versus $2.95/sheet) and Kodak T Max 100 in 4x5 is 2.4 times the price from bulk to pre-loaded version ($0.88/sheet versus $2.10/sheet).

For the film costs only:

100 sheets of Velvia from a bulk box will cost you $188.

100 sheets of Velvia in pre-loads will cost you $295.

A difference of $107

100 sheets of T Max 100 from a bulk box will cost you $88.

100 sheets of T Max 100 pre-loads will set you back $210.

A difference of $122

If you are talking pure economics as your point of reference with as little as you have into large format, there is no way you can justify even considering pre-loaded films as your argument falls apart. As you said, it is just to expensive. Sew yourself a changing tent and purchase a can of compressed air because logic will tell you that is the best way for you to proceed considering your individual circumstances IMHO. Use your financial resources to make as many images as possible. Good Luck

I have the latest versions of both the Kodak ReadyLoad and Fuji Quickload holders. As stated here and elsewhere, Kodak wont work in the Fuji holder, but Fuji in the Kodak holder inserts and removes easily. HOWEVER - contrary to reports of others - my sheets came back unexposed. I did not test with non-critical photographs made at home (cats, babies, potted plants), and instead marched into the backcountry and lost some images.

Fuji MAY or MAY NOT work in your Kodak holder. Try it out AT HOME before you get into the field and start screwing up critical images. I have yet to re-test the films/holders at home myself, as I'm manly enough and rich enough to carry around the weight and expense of both holders miles into the backcountry ;)

I'm new to large format, but I've used all three holders. As has been stated a number of time, the Polaroid holder will work with Polaroid, Kodak, and Fuji, the Kodak holder with Kodak and Fuji, and the Fuji with only Fuji. I have had reliability problems (failure to expose the film) with the Fuji Quickloads in both the Polaroid and Kodak holders. I decided to sacrifice a dozen Fuji Quickloads to see what was going on. So I just cycled them through the Kodak holder a couple of times. Two consistantly failed to open in the Kodah holder, but when I put them in the Fuji holder they worked fine. I was able to keep repeating this with the two "defective" Quickloads and both holders.

I agree with the posting that suggested using Fuji with Fuji and Kodak with Kodak. The cost on one additional holder is relatively low compared to the disappointment of an unexposed photo. Also, if one holder goes down, you still have a backup.