Lieca Under H20

schopke

I have lost a considerable amount of weight. As a result my confidence is

higher and I would like to try my hand at underwater photography! I have a

Leica M and a Hasselblad 500cm and a 501cw. I am also thinking about

buyinf a 35mm SLR camera. Does anybody know of any underwater

housings for the Leica M or R or the Hasselblad?

Thank you in advanced.

Congrats on the increased confidence and new interests! Sounds like fun!

You don't mention whether you're talking about snorkling or SCUBA, or what your experience is. If you're just starting with SCUBA, there are a lot of things to worry about other than using a manual camera underwater. It takes a while to get comfortable enough to think about anything more than staying safe and maybe taking a few snapshots. Anyway, I don't think there are that many housings for manual cameras in general, owing to the difficulty added by making each manual control accessible underwater. If you want a manual u/w camera, Nikonos is still the way to go.

Many AF SLR's can be used with very expensive housings. However, I've seen some really impressive SCUBA snapshots from the small Sony digi-point-and-shoots (eg, DSC-P10, about $500) with Sony's marine pack housing (about $200). That housing is _much_ cheaper than most housings and works down to 40m, so as long as you don't go too deep it'd be ok. Of course, lack of off-camera flash would limit the possibilities (I don't know if a remote strobe would be possible), but the immediate feedback would be nice.

I think this setup may be what eventually gets me into a digital camera.